The Summer Research School 2014, Illinois, USACamps 18.03.2014
The Summer Research Laboratory (SRL) on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia is open to all scholars with research interests in the Russian, East European and Eurasian region for eight weeks during the summer months from June 16 until August 8. The SRL provides scholars access to the resources of the University of Illinois Slavic collection within a flexible time frame where scholars have the opportunity to seek advice and research support from the librarians of the Slavic Reference Service (SRS).
During the first four weeks of the Lab, the Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center also organizes conferences, noontime speakers, and social events for Lab associates.
For graduate students, it provides an opportunity to conduct dissertation research prior to going abroad and a way to prioritize which resources to target after exhausting materials found within the US.
Payment of the registration fee is due upon notification of acceptance. Payment may be made by check or credit card: MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express.
The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Graduate Students — $50
- All other Scholars — $100
- Shared three-bedroom suite/night — $46
- Single three-bedroom suite/night — $92
Please read the following information carefully. All applicants are required to submit a one- to two-page research proposal.
Research Proposal: This should answer the following three questions:
1. What research question or topic are you currently exploring?
2. What is the purpose of your current research? (e.g. complete monograph, finish dissertation, pre-field work research)
3. What do you hope to achieve by visiting SRL and using the services provided by SRS and the Library at Illinois?
If you are applying for funding, you should also provide a statement of research relevance:
- This should be a statement linking the research described in your proposal to its broader impact, its relevance to contemporary disciplinary or cross-disciplinary perspectives on the region, to current events and cross-cultural or trans-regional interactions, or potential impact on public debate. Length: 100 words or less; 425 characters, including spaces.
All SRL applicants are eligible for grants.
- Graduate students are eligible for awards of up to 10 days of paid housing.
- All other scholars are eligible for up to 5 days of paid housing.
- Grants are for a shared three-four bedroom suite.
Individuals desiring a single suite are responsible for the additional fees. Grantees are welcome to stay longer than the award period at their own expense. A very limited number of awards are available to international applicants or permanent residents.
Limited funding is available for international applicants.
The application deadline for this year's Summer Research Lab is April 15, 2014. REEEC will continue to accept applications after the deadline, but housing and travel funds will not be guaranteed.
All applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Faculty or graduate students at a university or college.
- Individuals with a PhD doing research on the region.
- Credentialed independent scholars.
- Individuals working in an area of government, NGO, or business related to the region.
- Librarians specializing in the Slavic, East European, and Eurasian field.
The following documents must be submitted by all applicants, for those applying for funding see Grant Application Requirements:
- 2014 SRL Application
- Research Proposal and, if applicable, a Statement of Research Relevance (uploaded into the online application form)
- Curriculum Vitae (uploaded into the online application form)
- Additionally, Graduate Students are required to supply their Advisor's letter of support. (This may be uploaded into the online application form. If your advisor would prefer to send their letter of support separately from the application form, they may e-mail their letter as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please have the subject line include your last name and the phrase 'letter of support')
For questions regarding the application process, funding, and the SRL in general; please contact REEEC either by email: email@example.com or phone: (217) 333-1244.