Call for Applications for the Summer School “#FreeMedia4WesternBalkansCamps 08.07.2019
The Summer School will take place at Faculty of Law, University of Split from 22 till 28 of September 2019 (22 and 28 are travel days). It will be organized within the framework of the project FreeMedia4WesternBalkans: Promoting Legal Education in the field of Media law, Democratization and the EU accession process of the SEELS network faculties and the Europa-Institut of Saarland University (Germany), financially supported by DAAD and Federal Foreign Office of Germany.
The project fosters media freedom in the aspiring candidate countries of South East Europe as well as within the European Union itself. By becoming familiar with the media legislation, students as future lawyers will likely be more aware of related infringements in their future work as judges, attorneys, public servants and practitioners. The program will be delivered in English with a selection of the following topics (preliminary list, changes will be possible): Introduction to the constitutional right of freedom of expression, particularly the freedom of press and media; Important Judgements of the CJEU and the ECHR; The constitutional hate speech exception and the prohibition of hate speech; National and EU law of defamation in the context of the media; Protection of privacy as a limitation for the freedom of media; Racial and religious hatred and obscenity; National security restrictions; The regulation of the print and broadcasting media; Contempt of court and the protection of journalists’ sources; Particularities of Digital and Social Media; Overview of national and EU media laws; Discussion with stakeholders about their practical work and the daily restrictions.
The participation in the summer school will be awarded with a certificate of successful completion provided regular attendance of classes and successful completion of given tasks. It will be the individual decision of the academic institution of the participant if the certificate is recognized for obtaining ECTS.
There are 26 places available and the selection is based on the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidate should be enrolled as full-time regular student at one of the SEELS members or the Saarland University on a Master Program/Specialization on EU Law, or the Master Program/Specialization to which she/he is enrolled should have substantial amount of EU law related content; or her/his Master/Specialization Thesis is within the field of EU Law. In the cases the study program is offered as integrated program (5+0) Master Program/Specialization the final years of studies are considered;
- The candidate should have demonstrated high academic achievements;
- The candidate should demonstrate high interest and motivation to participate in the summer school;
- The application of the candidate is supported by one member of his academic community.
Each application shall include:
1. filled-in application form
2. scan of passport
3. scan and translation of academic transcripts (as per instructions provided in application form)
4. scan and translation of language/training certificates (as per instructions provided in application form)
The selected candidates will be provided with TRAVEL and ACCOMMODATION GRANTS, as per the instructions provided in the application form.
When the candidate selection process is finished, the selected candidates should send a final confirmation for participation at the summer school.
Deadline for submission of applications is 25th of July 2019 at 23:59 CET
All applications must be sent in English language, in electronic form in a single .pdf file, as per the instructions provided in the application form.