Call For Applications: Mediating Italy in Global Culture Fourth EditionCamps 08.04.2021
Deadline: May 24th, 2021
Open to: Graduate and Post-Graduate Students with a background in Media Studies, Film Studies, Italian Studies, Cultural Production, American Studies, and similar degrees
Venue: June 28th-July 2nd, 2021 / Blended format @ DAMSLab, Piazzetta P. P. Pasolini 5/b Bologna (Italy) and live streamed
The Department of the Arts of the University of Bologna, in collaboration with Brown University, Dickinson College, The University of Michigan, The Ohio State University, and Wesleyan University, invites applications for the 2021 “Mediating Italy in Global Culture” summer school, which will be held from Monday, June 28th to Friday, July 2nd, 2021. Given the ongoing uncertainty of the current situation, the intention for this year is to hold the course, if it will be possible, in a hybrid format, allowing students to attend either in person in Bologna or online. Otherwise, the summer school will be fully online. Updates will be given in due course to selected participants.
The summer school “Mediating Italy in Global Culture” offers an intensive learning experience during which graduate and post-graduate students can consolidate their theoretical and methodological skills on the forms of production, distribution, circulation, and reception of the Italian audiovisual culture in the United States, the United Kingdom, the European Union, Asia and other national contexts. Specifically, the summer school addresses those forms of media representations associated with Italy and their manipulation by cultural industries, fandoms, and opinion leaders. Furthermore, the program focuses on the complex imageries and socio-cultural constructions of brand-Italy that film, television and digital media - as well as other cultural and creative industries such as design, fashion, sports, and food - help disseminating. Particular attention is paid to the crucial role played by foreign countries in the popularization of Italy’s depictions around the world.
During this five-day program, students are encouraged to think provocatively about these topics and debates while participating in lectures, seminars, and roundtables. Students will also have the opportunity to present their research in an informal and stimulating environment and partake in discussions with fellow colleagues and faculty.
Lectures, seminars, and activities will delve into a variety of themes and media, including:
● Italian cinema (and its circulation in movie theaters, festivals, and digital platforms);
● Italian television, digital platforms and digital media;
● Italian novels, graphic novels and other editorial phenomena;
● Italian fashion, entertainment, advertising, and photography;
● Italian gastronomic traditions, lifestyle and food-inspired media productions;
● Italian sports entertainment, tourism, and related events.
Activities: at a glance program
In order to prioritize everyone’s safety and health during the Covid-19 pandemic, this year the summer school is expected to take place both online and in-person (attendance in Bologna depends on the restrictions in place at the end of June). We believe that this format will ensure the utmost student inclusivity: students will be able to decide how they prefer to participate. Classes will be scheduled in the afternoon (CET) to facilitate the participation of those connecting from different time zones. Furthermore, specifically tailored activities and reading materials will ensure a productive engagement. Students who will be able to join in person will benefit from informal conversations with the Università di Bologna faculty and will have the chance to attend the Cinema Ritrovato Festival, which is scheduled in the same week as the school. In general, all students are expected to fulfill the assigned reading requirements, actively engage in the discussions, and present their doctoral research to faculty and peers.
Each day the course will be scheduled in 3-hour afternoon live sessions, featuring a theoretical and methodological lecture held by one of the faculty members, a Q&A session, and student presentations accompanied by a discussion. In order to get better acquainted before the beginning of the school, we plan to hold a kick-off online meeting.
Graduate and Post-Graduate Students with a background in Media Studies, Film Studies, Italian Studies, Cultural Production, American Studies, and similar degrees can apply for this programme
Cost & Scholarship
This year the course will be completely free of charge. Students will have to cover potential room and board expenses, as well as the cost of the tickets to access the Cinema Ritrovato Festival.
The deadline to submit the application is May 24th, 2021.
Click here to start your online application form (Applications are now Closed)
- Fill out the online application form.
- Complete all required fields (*).
- Upload your full resumé or CV (as a Word or a PDF document). Please name the file as follows: Last name_CV
- Upload an abstract of the doctoral research to be presented in the school (maximum 400 words, as a Word or a PDF document). Include also a title and 5 keywords to describe your research interests. Please name the file as follows: Last name_Abstract
- Upload a valid ID (Preferably your Passport). Please name the file as follows: Last name_ID
- It is expected that the participants have a sufficient command of the English language to actively participate in the discussions and to present their own work in English.
- Only fill in and submit the application when you have all the required information and documents available.
- Once the application form is submitted, its content cannot be modified.
- ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- Applicants will be selected based on their research interests, proposed presentation topic, and personal and professional background. Former students are also encouraged to apply. Selected new participants will get a reduction for the 2022 subscription fee, when we hope to all meet again in Bologna.
- Once we receive your application and supporting documents, the evaluation process begins.
- A decision will be communicated by June 6th, 2021.
If you have any questions, please write to: email@example.com.