univie: summer school for International and European Studies 2021Camps 16.03.2021
Open to:Students from all over the world
Date:17 July, 2021
Ever since the University of Vienna Sommerhochschule (SHS) was established in 1949, an international summer school has been offered every year. Apart from its educational mission, one of the summer program’s most important aims has been restoring and promoting mutual understanding between Austrians and Americans that World War II had done so much to destroy.
Today the program provides a multidimensional survey of the present development of Europe and the European Union (EU). Participants will study both the decision-making processes within the EU institutions as well as various aspects of European political culture. The program aims at contributing to an increased understanding of the EU and its possible future shape.
Students from all over the world have been drawn to the program, not only because of the outstanding academic reputation of its European Studies courses and the excellent opportunities it offers students to learn German, but also because of its location directly on the shores of one of Austria’s most scenic lakes, Lake Wolfgang, in the Salzkammergut region, and because of the area’s excellent sports and recreational facilities.
Applicants have to be at least 18 years old and must have completed two years of studies at college or university level in their countries of residence or have an educational background equivalent to one year at a European university before the beginning of the program.
Applicants must be in attendance for the whole period of the univie: summer school, be able to take part in the required number of courses, have an adequate command of the English language and be in good health. Students whose native language is not English must submit evidence of proficiency in English with their application.
Applicants should also note that certain courses may have prerequisites.
- Enjoy four weeks of European Studies and cultural exchange
- Choose from courses in law, politics, economics, history, cultural studies and German
- Meet students from all over the world
- Experience campus life on a lake shore, against a breathtaking mountain backdrop
- Live and study with 100 students and 16 professors - from up to 35 nations
- Take part in sports, excursions, and cultural events
HOW TO APPLY?
The application deadline for the univie: summer school is April 30. The application material must have reached the office of the Sommerhochschule by this date.
To apply for admission applicants have to complete the application form available in the print brochure or as download and submit it together with all required application material.
Applicants have to submit the following documents:
1. Application form: Applicants must complete the application form.
2. Statement of Purpose: Applicants have to submit a written statement of motivation (maximum length one page).
3. Recommendation Letter: Applicants are required to submit a recommendation letter.
The letter has to include a paragraph about the student’s ability to study abroad.
4. Transcript of Grades: The application must include an official, certified transcript showing courses and grades from the university the applicant is currently attending.
5. Official proof of proficiency level in English: Applicants whose native language is not English must submit proof of their proficient command of English.
6. Two passport-size photos taken within the past year.
7. Deposit: A deposit of € 400 has to be transferred to the bank account of the Sommerhochschule.