The First Student Essay Competition | Embassy of Azerbaijan, LondonContests 09.07.2022
- Submissions Deadline Award Ceremony
- 4 October 2022 October 2022 exact date TBD
- Submissions Open Winners announced
- 4 July 2022 14 October 2022
The Embassy of Azerbaijan in the United Kingdom is delighted to announce its first student essay competition. The essay competition calls on the students (both at undergraduate and postgraduate level) enrolled in UK universities to share their opinions on the possibilities of sustainable peace and reconciliation in the South Caucasus region and how regional cooperation can be ensured. The competition aims to enhance the students’ knowledge of the South Caucasus and enable them to envision sustainable peace solutions in the region.
● Reimagining the South Caucasus: What are the challenges and opportunities for peace and confidence building in post-war period?
● How can the international community contribute to the peacebuilding efforts between Azerbaijan and Armenia? Discuss with reference to the role of regional powers-Turkey, Iran, Russia and/or EU, the US and the UK
● How to reinvigorate peacebuilding (between Azerbaijan and Armenia)? Opportunities for NGOs, youth and academia
The essays will be judged based on the level of knowledge and understanding of the topic, the quality of argumentation, the evidence and writing style. The jury’s decisions will be final. The essays will be marked anonymously.
The following awards will be given to the winners of the essay competition.
- 1st place- £ 700 Amazon gift card
- 2nd place-£ 500 Amazon gift card
- 3rd place-£ 250 Amazon gift card
The award ceremony will take place at the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the United Kingdom.
Guidelines for Submission
Authors of the essays are responsible for ensuring that their work complies with the guidelines set below:
- The submissions must be in English, and the spelling should be consistent throughout
- The essays should be written between 1500-2000 words (The word count includes the introduction, main body, conclusion and in-text citations. Bibliography and footnotes are not included in the word count)
- All submissions have to be referenced properly. Any citation style is welcome as long as it is consistent throughout the essay
- Formatting shall comply with: Times New Roman Font 12 point, 2 spaced, and pages shall be numbered using digit numbers in the footer of each page
- The essays should not contain any offensive statements
- The authors must complete the online application form, and send the proof of enrolment along with their essays
- Only one essay per applicant is allowed
- Essays will be marked anonymously, thus authors shall not indicate their names or any identification within the essay
- Any student enrolled in the UK universities at the time of the submissions is welcome to apply
The deadline for receiving the essays is: 4 October 2022
If you still have questions not addressed above you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate “Essay contest” in the subject line for any enquiries.