The Max Planck Sciences Po Center on Coping with Instability in Market SocietiesFellowship 11.01.2017
The Max Planck Sciences Po Center on Coping with Instability in Market Societies (MaxPo, www.maxpo.eu) invites applications for doctoral fellowships. PhD fellowship recipients will work under the supervision of Prof. Jenny Andersson or Prof. Olivier Godechot and are required to apply for formal enrollment in the doctoral program in sociology or political science at Sciences Po in Paris.
Applicants' research interests should fall into the area of MaxPo's research program, "Coping with instability in market societies" (http://www.maxpo.eu/research-projects.asp) and their PhD project proposal should fit into one of the two research groups at MaxPo. We welcome original and independent proposals. Research topics should be located in economic sociology, political economy, economic or political history and can include:
- The intellectual, political and economic history of neoliberalism, elite and mass politics, marketisation of social life, concepts of democracy, politics and progress since 1970s, consequences of neoliberalism
- Sociology of financial markets, labor markets and inequality, team dynamics in organizations and labor markets, the political and social consequences of economic crises.
Required documents (to be compiled into a single PDF file):
- a CV
- a transcript of records from each institution attended
- a cover letter briefly describing your intellectual trajectory so far and discussing the topics that interest you (2 pages maximum)
- a thesis project (5,000 words maximum)
- a project title
- an abstract summarizing your thesis project
- a writing sample (such as an article, thesis, or term paper)
- if possible, we strongly encourage you to obtain one or more letters of recommendation (a letter from your MA advisor would be especially useful)
Please email the complete file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 March 2017 (with "MaxPo PhD positions 2017" in the subject line). Incomplete files will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview. Final decisions will be made by mid-April 2017.
Please also note that successful candidates will need to apply for admission through the online procedure of the Ecole doctorale of Sciences Po before 25 April 2017. Administrative registration will occur in June 2017 through the Ecole doctorale of Sciences Po. All the details will be forwarded in April 2017 to the candidates selected for a MaxPo fellowship.