Call for Applications for a Artist Residency GrantFellowship 14.05.2018
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR A RESIDENCY GRANT
at UNIDEE – University of Ideas
Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto in Biella, Italy
Residency period: September 17th – November 17th 2018
UNIDEE – University of Ideas’ format (http://www.cittadellarte.it/unidee) of Cittadellarte–Fondazione Pistoletto proposes an educational model based on ‘other’ ways of gaining experience in the meeting of critical theory, activism and artistic practice, not through subordinate relationships but rather through levels of interaction, exchanges and reciprocal interference.
Laboratory or seminar modules are held each week at Cittadellarte, moderated by a knowledgeable mentor with the support of a guest. The groups of participants, who are always different and arrive from all over the world, interact intensely as they discuss and examine relationships betweenart and the public spherein depth, starting from different practices and going through connections with various disciplines. UNIDEE is an experimental school that uses methodologies, practices, the languages of art and the forms of activism to educate ‘artivators’or agents for the organisation of actions and processes responsible for change in the social contexts in which they live.
The structure of UNIDEE – University of Ideas is articulated through three types of activities investigating the relationship between art and public sphere:
- Weekly residential modules taking place at Cittadellarte,
- Residency programmes for international artists at Cittadellarte.
- Connective Residency at Cittadellarte.
l. ABOUT THIS RESIDENCY
A 2 month long educational residency programme based on the relationship between participatory art practices and socio-political transformation of society from September 17th to November 17th 2018.
The 2-month long residency offered through this joint grant (YARAT Contemporary Art Space & Cittadellarte–Fondazione Pistoletto) includes:
- Return travel from Azerbaijan to Biella, Italy;
- Visa reimbursement;
- 2 months' stay at Cittadellarte–Fondazione Pistoletto (single room in an apartment shared with other international residents –inclusive of cleaning services, use of shared studio space and workshop facilities);
- Insurance (travel and medical insurance for accidents);
- Expert visits, networking sessions, institutional visits, visits to museums and galleries, and travel within Northern Italy (e.g. Milan, Turin and Venice);
- A small budget for production, communication and translations;
- A modest per diem (600€);
- Attendance at two weekly residential modules scheduled during Fall session of UNIDEE 2018.
ll. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
You are eligible to apply if (all conditions below must be met):
- You are a citizen of Azerbaijan;
- You currently reside in the country;
- You were born during or after 1982;
- You have not previously received grants from Yarat Contemporary Art Space for overseas projects;
- You have a fluent knowledge of the English language.
PLEASE NOTE that the residency dates are fixed and no change can be accepted. Once the artist signs the agreement, it is mandatory to respect the given dates.
Deadline for submissions: Sunday 3rd June, 2018.
Only digital submissions are accepted.
III. SELECTION PROCEDURE
YARAT Contemporary Art Space will prepare an initial short-list of candidates, amongst whom UNIDEE–University of Ideas' curatorial board will select one residency grant winner.
Final results will be released by Thursday 28thJune, 2018.
lV. HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your applications to: your email with “YARAT/UNIDEE application (your name)”as a subject line (Up to 8 MB per email). (If you are submitting more than one email, please state that, for example, as subject: YARAT/UNIDEE application(your name) 1 of 3 / 2 of 3 / 3 of 3.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: +99412 505 1414
Please fill out (in English only) this application form by including your:
- Basic / contact information;
- Motivation letter, including a project proposal for this specific residency (up to 1000 words). In writing up your proposal, bear in mind that UNIDEE–University of Ideas values process and research-based practices: thus, the project you are proposing at the time of your application is not binding and can be implemented while in residence if still relevant.
- Artist statement;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Portfolio (up to 8 MB) with a selection of relevant works/researches (e.g. images, texts, audio files and videos – for audio and video URLs are fine).