2019-20 ANAMED Fellowships for Ph.D. Candidates and Post-Docs at Koç University, TurkeyFellowship 18.11.2018
Koç University invites applications for PhD, Post-Doctoral, and Senior Fellowships at Koç University's Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations (ANAMED). Additionally, several Joint Fellowships with specific application criteria are available as well.
All ANAMED fellows are expected to devote themselves full time to their research projects, to be active members of Koç University’s academic community, and, for full-year fellowships, to give two lectures on their work during the course of the year.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Applications focusing on the archaeology, art history, heritage, and history of Anatolia from the Neolithic through the Ottoman eras are welcome from scholars of these and allied disciplines, including those that focus on the management, conservation, and presentation of the past.
- PhD candidates who have completed the doctoral qualification stage and post-doctoral and senior scholars in relevant fields can apply for fellowships.
- An applicant who has completed or expects to complete her/his PhD (including the defense, viva voce, and/or final public examination) before the fellowship term begins should apply for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship. In cases where the PhD degree is granted after the application has been submitted but before the fellowship term begins, the applicant is required to submit a copy of the doctoral diploma (and/or final transcript) to the Fellowship Coordinator before the fellowship term begins. If the applicant fails to complete the PhD before the fellowship term begins, the Post-Doctoral Fellowship will be cancelled.
- An applicant who has applied for and is awarded a PhD Fellowship and who successfully completes her/his PhD during the ANAMED fellowship year will be allowed to complete the full term of the fellowship but will not be eligible for an upgrade to a Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- Koç University PhD students are not eligible for ANAMED PhD Fellowships. Graduates of Koç University PhD programs, however, may apply for Post-Doctoral and/or Senior Fellowships.
- Applicants may not apply for both Regular/Joint Fellowships and Short-Term Fellowships in the same year.
- Applications from scholars of all nationalities are encouraged, yet fellows must be proficient in English, the language of instruction at Koç University
A monthly stipend calculated by Koç University each year to cover most local expenses not covered by the fellowship
Accommodation at ANAMED’s residential facility in the center of Beyoğlu, Istanbul
Residential facilities consist of studio apartments that can accommodate a spouse/partner if necessary.
Each apartment has a private bathroom, cold-kitchen area with mini-refrigerator, and apartment-specific heating, cooling, and ventilation system, and is furnished with a bed, closet, desk, chair, telephone, and TV. ANAMED custodial staff provide apartment cleaning services at no extra charge twice a week, including a change of sheets and towels. Laundry facilities for personal use are available within the residential complex. ANAMED terraces have plentiful seating, lighting, and fine views of the Golden Horn and Sea of Marmara. In addition to the apartment, each fellow is assigned a study carrel in a study room accessible from within the facility, reserved for fellows, and open 24/7. During office hours, tea, coffee, and water are available outside the study room.
Five meals per week
ANAMED provides fellows five meals per week. These include two in-house dinners a week during the academic year (excepting national and university holidays) and a meal card for three meals a week at rates set by Koç University.
Transportation to and from Turkey
One lowest-possible cost, economy class, round-trip airfare will be reimbursed upon the beginning of the fellowship based on a region of origin.
A modest research budget
Expenses may include books, research materials, research-related travel expenses within Turkey, and/or travel expenses for the presentation of papers at academic conferences during the period of the fellow’s appointment.
Currently available health insurance plans cover general in-patient and limited outpatient treatments, including medicines and advanced diagnostic methods.
Application for the official residence permit required for foreign fellows to spend nine months in Turkey will be facilitated by ANAMED in collaboration with Koç University’s International Community Office. All associated costs are included in the fellowship.
Full access to the ANAMED Library, its library services, affiliates (via BiblioPera), and online resources
Access includes borrowing privileges from the main campus library and inter-library loan within the network of participating institutions in Turkey. In addition, residential fellows can use library spaces 24/7.
Full access to lectures, symposia, and other activities at ANAMED and on the main Koç University campus
ANAMED and Koç University organize and host a variety of scholarly activities and exhibits throughout the year, most of which are open to the public. ANAMED fellows have additional opportunities to interact with colleagues sharing interests in Anatolian civilizations at weekly “Friday Teas,” which sometimes feature short academic talks and always feature good conversation.
A Museum Pass is provided that allows free entrance to museums and archeological/historical sites.
- Before applying please refer to ANAMED’s Frequently Asked Questions concerning the application process.
- All applicants should complete the application form. Please click here: ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Owing to the functionality of the online form, the application must be completed and submitted in one session without closing the browser window. We recommend, therefore, that application information be gathered and prepared in a different document or place first and then entered into the form and submitted in one session. For a list of information required by in the application form, click here
- Regular and Joint Fellowships are available for the 9-month academic year. PhD Fellowships are full 9-month fellowships, while Post-Doctoral and Senior Fellowships can be limited to either 9-month or 4.5 month terms (fall or spring semesters).
- Applicants who apply for a Joint Fellowship and who would like to be considered for a Regular Fellowship also should indicate this by selecting the appropriate checkbox in the Joint Fellowship application form. In such cases, the primary application should always be submitted to the Joint Fellowship.
- Non-residential fellowships are reserved for those precluded from staying at ANAMED for personal reasons (including those already resident in Istanbul). Housing support is unfortunately unavailable for fellows who desire to reside outside ANAMED.
- Residential and Non-Residential fellowship statuses cannot be changed after fellowships are granted.
- For those who want to apply as residential together with their family should note that, unfortunately, building regulations prevent us from welcoming children under the age of 16 to reside full-time at ANAMED.
- PhD Fellowship applicants should upload their graduate school transcript(s). If a university does not have transcripts, the applicant should upload an official letter from the university or advisor indicating her/his status as a registered PhD student there.
- Two recommendation letters are required for applicants for PhD and Post-Doctoral Fellowships. Recommendation letters are optional for applicants for Senior Fellowships. (Please check PhD, Post-Doc, and Senior definitions in below this page)
- Recommendation letters should be submitted directly by email to email@example.com.
- Recommendation letters should comment directly on the proposed fellowship project and the ability of the applicant to undertake it. For this reason, ANAMED recommends that applicants share project proposals with recommenders in advance.
- One of the two recommendation letters required for PhD Fellowship applicants must come from the applicant's PhD thesis advisor and should comment directly on the status of the thesis and the applicant’s proposed schedule of completion.
- Applicants are responsible for the completeness and accuracy of all application information. ANAMED reserves the right to withhold applications from full review owing to incompleteness and/or inaccuracy.