Call for Applications: 2020 World Nomads Travel Writing ScholarshipsFellowship 19.02.2020
Deadline: 11 March 2020
Open to: For All
World Nomads is accepting applications for its travel writing scholarships. Three aspiring writers will win a 14-day travel writing trip to the Caribbean!
Want to learn how to become a travel writer in a tropical paradise?
The winners will attend a four-day workshop led by The New York Times and Outside magazine contributor Tim Neville. They will then travel to multiple destinations alone and document their trips.
The travel writing workshop in Panama will take place on 14 September to 17 September 2020. The individual trips across a specific region of the Caribbean will take place from 18 September to 27 September 2020.
Under the mentorship of professional travel writer Tim Neville, the winners will learn how to find a great story, create solid pitches, improve their writing skills and gain a better understanding of the travel writing industry.
After the workshop, each writer will embark on a 10-day trip within the Caribbean. During the trip, you will be tasked with writing about the people you meet, your adventures (and misadventures), and your local off-the-beaten-path encounters.
The successful applicants will receive the following:
- Return economy airfare from the nearest international airport to Panama.
- 4-day all-expenses-paid workshop with professional travel writer and scholarship mentor, Tim Neville in Panama hosted by Selina.
- A 10-day all-expenses-paid trip in a specific part of the Caribbean, courtesy of Bamba.
- $500 worth of Toad&Co. sustainable travel apparel and gear.
- Portfolio review of content produced on the trip by National Geographic Editor-at-large Norie Quintos.
- The cost of any relevant visas and vaccinations and travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
- You need to be 18 or over at the time of the application deadline (before 11 March 2020).
- You must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
- You do need a current passport with at least six months left before expiry. They will assist the winner in acquiring a visa and reimburse all associated costs. However, the applicant must be eligible to obtain a visa to travel to Panama.
- The scholarship is not open to professional writers of any kind. Essentially this is a ‘learning opportunity’ for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel writing industry and more importantly, is keen to be mentored.
Application is HERE
For more information: WEBSITE