Applications Open: Global South Visiting Professorship 2023-2024
The TORCH Global South Visiting Professorship Programme is a flagship scheme that supports Visiting Professors from the Global South for one academic term in Oxford. All Souls College will generously host the visiting academic, and TORCH will provide additional logistical support.
TORCH created the ‘Global South Visiting Professorship’ scheme in 2015, with the aim to support Visiting Professorships and Fellowships for academics from countries in the Global South (including, but not limited to, India, Pakistan, Brazil, Malaysia, Philippines, Mauritius, Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, and across Southern Africa and the Caribbean, including countries listed as part of the G77.
The TORCH Global South Visiting Professorships are crucial in the work of providing role models and on diversity and inclusivity in the wider University. The scheme builds on and reinforces existing links between Oxford (including TORCH) and Universities in the countries named above.
The successful scholar from the Global South will be hosted in Oxford during Michaelmas Term, 2023. They are invited to conduct their research and to contribute, where possible, to the teaching environment through open and public events. They will also be encouraged to participate in the academic life of the College and wider University. The scheme brings mutual benefit to the Oxford community of researchers and students and to the Visiting Professor through the fruitful exchange of knowledge and experiences.
As part of the package of support, the Visiting Professor will receive accommodation and Senior Common Room membership through the support provided by All Souls College, and a generous allowance to cover travel, maintenance and research expenses. TORCH also provides access to the University libraries and the Visiting Professor will have a University Card for 1 year, so that they can continue their research and connection to Oxford beyond their stay. There will also be some funding available to facilitate events, workshops and activities while in Oxford, connecting with different audiences.
- For expressions of interest from either prospective Oxford hosts or prospective Visiting Fellows, please contact the TORCH International Officer
- Applications are via the IRAMS system and the ‘Case for Support’ form.
- TORCH Global South Visiting Professors are put forward by an Oxford humanities academic, and are selected from the gathered field by the TORCH Management Committee.
- In the application, the Oxford Humanities academic should outline why they have selected the researcher and how their research and practice would contribute to the students and researchers in Oxford, as well as how the research and student community can learn from the Global South Professor, and develop longer term partnerships.
- The application should include the proposed Global South Professor’s CV, and research statement on what they plan to do during their Visiting Professorship. (No more than 1000 words on the 'Case for Support' form) .
Proposed TORCH Global South Visiting Professors should be holders of university or related posts in their country, and active in Humanities research areas. Visiting Professorships are not normally offered to candidates with doctorates awarded in the last seven years. This opportunity is not available to individuals holding posts in Oxford or who are already resident in or near Oxford.
Further information on the international activity TORCH supports is available here: https://torch.ox.ac.uk/international-engagement
Data and Privacy Statement
Please read this statement on how your data will be processed as part of this application process
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on Thursday 30 June, 2022.
All applicants will receive notification of the status of their application within one month of the application closing date.
Zimpande Kawanu (International Officer) email@example.com
Dr Vicky McGuinness (Head of Cultural Programming and Partnerships) firstname.lastname@example.org
The TORCH Global South Visiting Professorship and Fellowships scheme here: https://torch.ox.ac.uk/torch-global-south-visiting-professors-and-fellows