Summer 2021 - Internship, Asia Program - VirtualFreelancer 03.04.2021
Reports To: Program Assistant, Asia Program
GMF’s Asia Program pursues the dual goals of developing common U.S.-European approaches to challenges emanating from Asia and building closer U.S.-Europe-Asia partnerships to strengthen the liberal international order at a time when it is increasingly contested. The program accomplishes these goals through research, commentary, conferences, and publications. Covering an expansive area — from the Hindu Kush to the Pacific — the program has region-wide projects as well as long-standing, signature initiatives related to China, India, Japan, and Taiwan. The Asia Program’s fellows and staff manage an active set of policy programs, conduct in-depth research, and frequently contribute articles and commentary to a wide range of publications and news outlets both in the United States and internationally.
Interns in the Asia Program are key members of the team. They conduct research on a wide variety of topics, build administrative and operational skills, and benefit from exposure to GMF’s network and high-level events. The Asia Program summer internship is paid and offers an ideal opportunity to acquire substantive professional experience for those interested in a career in public policy or international affairs. During COVID-19, all internships will be on a remote, work-from-home basis.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Providing administrative and research support for the Asia Program on issues pertaining to U.S. and European Asia policy.
- Assisting in the coordination of our virtual convening activities and events.
- Helping maintain the Asia Program's database of contacts.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent analytical, research, and writing skills and experience
- English fluency; Additional European or Asian languages a plus.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Superior judgment and discretion.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong academic record, including completed or in-process studies or degree(s) in International Relations, International Development, Regional Studies, Political Science, Economics or Security Studies; Graduate degree preferred.
- Previous experience in a think tank, foundation, NGO, government body, media outlet, or similar organization preferred.
- A demonstrable interest or background in contemporary East, South, or Southeast Asian politics and policy – particularly related to China, India, Japan, or Taiwan – or a familiarity with U.S.-European policy issues and global strategic debates about American foreign policy and rising international powers.
Start and Length of Internship:
- Preferred starting date: May 3, 2021
- Preferred length of internship: 4 months
- Preferred time commitment: At least 25-35 hours per week, Monday–Friday between 9 AM to 5 PM.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply here -> https://gmfus.clearcompany.com/