Facebook South Africa COVID-19 Local News Relief Fund ApplicationGrants 09.05.2020
Deadline: 19 May 2020
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is partnering with the Facebook Journalism Project (FJP) to administer nine grants to independent local news organizations in South Africa that are producing quality journalism amidst the COVID-19 crisis. This grant program will provide urgent financial support for independent publishers with a special focus on investigative journalism and local news organizations that are providing trustworthy information about COVID-19.
About the Local News Relief Fund
The grants will be distributed as follows :
- Two grants of $35,000 for publishers with 40 or more staff members
- Seven grants of $10,000 for publishers with less than 40 staff members
The grants can be used for initiatives such as helping launch newsletters, lift paywalls, hire freelance journalists, strengthen data reporting, create online events, fund IT needs, launch software services, support digital distribution methods, salaries, buy personal protection equipment to keep journalists safe, as well as to ensure the basic continuation of work.
Grant preference will be given to publishers who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Serve immigrant, rural, underserved and economically disadvantaged communities;
- Represent areas where COVID-19 impact is particularly acute;
- Actively covering COVID-19 and producing original news content related to COVID-19;
- Clearly and candidly explain the grant's contribution to their organization's long-term viability;
- Are family- or community-owned or independent;
- Have an established digital reader revenue business model;
- Have not yet received grant support from the Facebook Journalism Project in 2020.
For more information website