Vacancy for Communication Assistant NHC & Project Assistant in The HagueInternships 29.11.2016
The Netherlands Helsinki Committee (NHC) is currently looking for a motivated, well-organised intern for the position of:
Communication assistant NHC &project assistant for the Security and Human Rights Journal (SHR)
About the NHC
The Netherlands Helsinki Committee is a non-governmental organisation that promotes human rights and strengthens the rule of law and democracy in all countries of Europe, including the Central Asian countries participating in the OSCE.
Our work lies primarily in executing projects to strengthen legal protection and improve public policies that affect vulnerable or disadvantaged groups. We support human rights NGOs to withstand governmental pressure. Additionally, we work to improve the implementation of OSCE human dimension commitments and other international human rights agreements. We take active part in several civil society networks of human rights NGOs and civil in Europe. The NHC has an office located in The Hague.
- Read articles submitted to the Security and Human Rights journal (SHR) and judge their quality.
- Contact authors of SHR and assist in preparing articles for publication.
- Write and edit texts for the website of NHC, the Facebook page and Twitter.
- Communicate with partners and other relevant parties;
- Monitor media and regional developments on the topics of security and human rights.
- Participate in the daily functions of the NHC and general communication activities e.g. writing newsletters, assisting in organizing events and the like.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor or Master degree in Human Rights / International Law / Political Science / International Relations / Journalism or Social Sciences;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Demonstrated affinity with civil society work or activism for social change, awareness of recent human rights trends and developments;
- An eye for detail, good writing and organisational skills;
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment and switch between tasks;
- Resourcefulness, initiative and hands-on mentality;
- Strong communication skills and inter-cultural sensitivity;
- Excellent command of the English language. Preferablyyou are a native speaker.
- Knowledge of the OSCE region is an asset, in particular, knowledge of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
Length & period
This is a vacancy for 8-24 hours per week – depending on your availability – and will be for a period of 3-6 months.
We offer an opportunity to experience the internal workings of a European human rights NGO and gain practical skills in event preparation, research and reporting. Travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed.
If you are interested, please send your resume, a writing sample and a short motivation to: RVisscher@nhc.nl. Please mention “Communication assistant & project assistant for the Security and Human Rights Journal (SHR) ”
in the subject of your email.
We are looking for someone who can start as soon as possible.