Vacancy for Communications Trainee in BelgiumInternships 10.06.2018
3 September 2018 – 28 February 2019 (6 months)
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of individuals and organisations working to ensure social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Grounded in principles of social justice, anti-racism and equality, PICUM works to ensure that all migrants are entitled to a dignified standard of living and respect. Bringing together the experiences and expertise of its members, PICUM generates and coordinates a humane and informed response to undocumented migrants’ realities and provides a platform to engage policy makers and the general public in the full realisation of their rights.
Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, awareness raising, and research activities. Unlike its members working on the frontline, PICUM’s secretariat does not provide direct assistance to undocumented migrants but works to build a strong civil society network to support each other and challenge discriminatory policies and practices.
Communications play an important role in PICUM’s work. The candidate will support PICUM’s strategic communications including the database, website, social media and other tools and channels as well as newsletters, member communications and communications around events. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of operating a transnational NGO network, supporting member organisations, and promoting policy change through strategic communications.
For the period from 3 September 2018 – 28 February 2019, the candidate will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
- Support database and contact management and handle information requests.
- Update website content and help maintain the website.
- Assist with the production of PICUM’s newsletters through monitoring news and writing summaries.
- Support communications with members and partners including webinars, blogs, information sharing and the dissemination of statements.
- Support media relations through updating contacts and strategic outreach.
- Supporting the production of visuals and design of documents (depending on editing skills)
- Assist with organising PICUM internal and external events, including PICUM’s group sessions with members and liaise with PICUM members.
- Translate texts (depending on language skills) and coordinate translations and other support of volunteers.
- Update PICUM’s library and e-library by classifying and entering into the database various printed and electronic materials on undocumented migrants.
- Working flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
- University degree in communications, journalism, human rights, migration studies or other relevant fields.
- Skills in database management and CMS preferred.
- Experience in strategic use of social media an asset
- Strong English writing skills and ability to convey complex information in easy to understand written formats. Other languages an asset, particularly French and Spanish.
- Knowledge of video editing software and audio-visual media production preferred.
- Knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights.
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and under tight deadlines.
- Good planning and organisational skills
The work is full time and is carried out in PICUM’s office in Brussels, Belgium.
Starting date: Monday, 3 September 2018
Ending date: Thursday, 28 February 2019
PICUM will provide the candidate with a Belgian contract of ‘Professional Immersion’ (‘Convention d'immersion professionnelle’) with a remuneration of € 766 per month, plus local transport costs and lunch cheques.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, 17 June 2018 at midnight (CET). Please send your CV and cover letter in English addressed to Ms. Elisabeth Schmidt-Hieber at the following address: email@example.com - with your last name, first name and PICUM traineeship in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 19 June. Please note that due to large numbers of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will take place at PICUM’s secretariat on 21 June. Interviews on Skype are possible in exceptional circumstances.