Globalink Research Summer Internship 2022
The call for student applications for the summer of 2022 is now open!
The application deadline is Wednesday, September 22, 2021, at 1 p.m. Pacific Time (PT). Apply here!
Mitacs Globalink Research Internship is a competitive initiative for international undergraduates from the following countries and regions: Australia, Brazil, China, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Taiwan, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Kingdom and the United States. From May to October of each year, top-ranked applicants participate in a 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members in a variety of academic disciplines, from science, engineering, and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
Mitacs Globalink Research Internships are currently available at over 70 universities across Canada. For more information, please see our list of academic partners.
Globalink Research Internship alumni interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies are eligible for the Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
To apply for a Globalink Research Internship, students must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or combined undergraduate/master’s program at an eligible institution (see list of eligible institutions by country under the Student Application tab)
- Have one to three semesters remaining in their program as of Fall 2022
- Meet the grade requirements for your country of study:
- GPA requirements by country will be updated in June 2021
- Be available to complete a 12-week internship, arriving in Canada between May 1 and July 31, 2022, and returning to their country of study between July 31 and October 31, 2022
- Possess a valid passport that is valid until at least January 2023
- Student applicants must provide in their application:
- An official transcript from the home university, in English or French. If you cannot obtain an English or French transcript, you must submit a translated and notarized copy before the application deadline
- At least one letter of reference from a professor or research supervisor
- A CV detailing research experience
- Apply to a minimum of three, maximum of seven, projects and ensure selections are from at least three different Canadian provinces
Overview of GRI cycle and important dates
|April to June 2021
||Faculty application: Faculty submit research projects to Mitacs. Project proposals are due June 9, 2021 by 1 p.m. PT for 2022 Globalink Research Internships.
|July to August 2021
||Faculty application vetting: Projects are reviewed by Mitacs and decisions communicated to professors. All successful projects are made available to student applicants in an online database.
|August to September 2021
||Student application: International students submit applications and select research projects from the online database. Mitacs conducts an eligibility review of student applications in October.
|November 2021 to January 2022
||Matching: Mitacs provides professors with a shortlist of student candidates for their project. Professors are then asked to review student applications, conduct interviews and then rank the applicants in order of suitability. Mitacs collects student and professor rankings, then finalizes offers to students. Final results are announced in February.
|February to April 2022
||Pre-internship preparation: Successful students start working with their Canadian host professors to arrange pre-internship details (e.g., reading to be completed beforehand) while Mitacs oversees logistics and coordinates with university administrative offices.
|May to October 2022
||Internship: Globalink research interns arrive in Canada and work with supervising professors for 12 weeks on their research project.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The official website