Vacancy for Dow Jones Newswires Editor in JapanJobs 16.04.2020
Dow Jones Newswires is seeking an experienced journalist/translator to lead its Japanese-language service (JLS).
You will manage a global team of translators and translation editors with a remit to help increase both quantity and quality of output of JLS, which broadly speaking is the Japanese-language version of Dow Jones Newswires. You will supervise senior translation editors, whose job it is to ensure teams of translators and editors spread around the world make smart selections from among English-language stories from The Wall Street Journal and Dow Jones Newswires to be translated, exercising their management skills to guide staff to produce fast, accurate translations under deadline pressure.
The job can be based in Tokyo, London or New York.
- Thinking creatively about how to reach JLS’s targets and suggest/implement improvement plans that may include the use of machine translation or other technical advances
- Making arrangements to hire replacement translators and editors as well as contract workers to ensure JLS’s targets are reached
- Keeping track of quantity and quality of JLS translations
- Liaising with Newswires leadership to apprise them of any challenges or successes the team is experiencing
- Excellent English and Japanese language skills are a must
- The leader of JLS must be able to translate and edit real-time news copy at the same pace and quality as the strongest translators and editors on the team
- Exceptional news judgment and knowledge of finance and business, as well as an interest in international affairs.
- The ability to master unfamiliar technology quickly, based on knowledge of programs and apps with similar functionality to Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Wordpress, Slack, etc.
- At least seven years of experience as a journalist in the English or Japanese language, or at least the same amount of time as a translation editor, either at JLS or a similar business/finance publication translating from English to Japanese
For more information website