Call for Applications: MSME Research Assistant – MSME Development Research in CanadaJobs 17.02.2020
Deadline: 29 February 2020
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is committed to fostering the next generation of Asia Pacific researchers and practitioners. To this end, it is offering a full-time, six-months Research Assistant position for applicants interested in working on the APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership project focusing on micro-, small-, and medium-sized enterprise (MSME) growth in developing APEC economies.
The MSME Research Assistant will work at the Foundation's Vancouver office and will complete a program of research and other work related to the project. The APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership is an initiative of APF Canada and funded by the Government of Canada. The objective of the Project is to build the potential of MSMEs in developing APEC economies to foster sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction.
Successful applicants will have the following qualifications:
- Knowledgeable about issues related to MSMEs particularly in the context of fostering sustainable development and poverty reduction, and promoting gender equality;
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to conduct research, produce analytical reports and briefs;
- Experience in research related to micro, small and medium enterprise development in Asia Pacific economies
- Knowledge of Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia, Peru or Malaysia an asset
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary Canada-Asia relations, including policy, trade and entrepreneurial issues; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (including strong MS Excel skills) and social media.
The Research Assistant will work under the mentorship of the APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership Program Manager, and will engage in the following activities:
- Working with APF's Program Manager in conducting quantitative and qualitative research important to Canada's micro, small and medium enterprise APEC agenda;
- Quantitative and quantitative analysis of currently available MSME data for presentations and research requests;
- Analysis and drafting of research reports;
- Research to identify previous MSME capacity building projects in the Asia Pacific region;
- Assists the Program Manager in coordinating and managing meetings, consultations, and partnership events linked to a final project conference with leaders and experts from Canada and other APEC economies;
- Provides ongoing research support and analysis throughout the project's activities;
- Other ad-hoc project tasks.
Applicants should be eligible to work in Canada and are currently enrolled in masters-level programs, or who have completed their degree programs within 24 months of the application deadline. The position will run approximately from March 16, 2020 to September 14, 2020, with the possibility of extension.
The successful applicant will ideally work out of APF Canada's head office in downtown Vancouver during regular office hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm).
Note: There is some flexibility for part-time work for the first few months of the project to accommodate graduate students, but the exact availability must be explicitly stated in the applicant's cover letter.
Applications are accepted in English and French. Submit the following documents in ONE SINGLE PDF FILE (upload in the resume field) in the order specified below:
- One-page cover letter detailing the applicant's research interests, career interests and goals, how they hope to benefit from the position, and why they are interested in working in the thematic area specified in the call for applications;
- Résumé detailing the applicant's academic background, skills and professional experiences;
- Copy of applicant's university undergraduate and/or master's degree transcripts (scanned or electronic copies are sufficient);
- An academic writing sample no more than 10 pages single spaced in English;
- Name, title and contact information (email and phone number) for two academic or professional references.
Anticipating the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are considered on a rolling basis so please submit your application once it is prepared.
Link to this job: HERE