Research Associates for Investigating Sustainable Development Goal InteractionsJobs 12.05.2020
The Center for International Development and Environmental Research (Zentrum für internationale Entwicklungs- und Umweltforschung, ZEU), based at the Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU), Germany in the project SDGnexus Network, supported by the DAAD with funds from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) the Higher Education Excellence in Development Cooperation (exceed) invites applications for three full-time positions for
for Investigating Sustainable Development Goal Interactions
The positions are available as of now until December 31st, 2024. The salary of the position is determined by payment group E 13 according to the collective labor agreement of the State of Hessen (TV-H).
The SDGnexus Network
The SDGnexus Network, consisting of partners from Colombia, Ecuador, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, provides a common research framework related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations (UN) and aims to analyze synergies and trade-offs among individual SDGs (SDG nexus analysis). The Network intends to prepare the next generation of scientists by implementing a variety of teaching programs (including e-Learning) and training activities, with particular attention for the needs of junior researchers. The SDGnexus Network investigates interrelations among single SDGs within the following five focal research areas: Food systems, Water, Urban & rural areas, Natural resources, SDG monitoring. Please find further information on the research areas at https://t1p.de/snnra.
Based at the Center for International Development and Environmental Research (Zentrum für internationale Entwicklungs- und Umweltforschung, ZEU) at JLU, you will conduct research related to one or more research areas as defined above. Furthermore, you will foster the relations among and work closely with the international partners, contribute to the development of and actively participate in (e-Learning) teaching modules related to sustainable development, take part in and design networking events, and support the supervision of early-stage researchers. The research associates report about their projects to the Project Management Board of the SDGnexus Network.
- You should have a Master’s or an equivalent degree in a topic related to SDGs and a Ph.D or at least three years of relevant academic experience in, e.g., agricultural science, food systems, geography, development economics, political science, sociology or environmental science
- Leadership qualities characterize your personality
- You have good knowledge of the SDGs and of the methods for measuring and solving trade-offs between them
- You already have experience in teaching, including e-learning
- You have advanced communication skills in spoken and written English and excellent scientific writing skills
- Knowledge of the Spanish or Russian language is a clear advantage
- We are looking for highly motivated persons that bring curiosity in research and commitment to scientific excellence
- The enthusiasm to work in a multi-disciplinary, collaborative, and international environment characterizes you
The JLU is seeking a larger percentage of women in academia; therefore, qualified female researchers are especially encouraged to apply. The JLU sees itself as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are most welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
Please send your application, preferably via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), stating the reference number 261/Z until June 5th, 2020 to the project coordinator Bjoern Weeser, Zentrum für internationale Entwicklungs- und Umweltforschung (ZEU), Senckenbergstraße 3, 35390 Giessen, Germany.
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF file and must include a curriculum vitae, publication list, project list, list of teaching experience (if available), a minimum of two references with full contact details, academic certificates, and a research project proposal. Within the research project proposal (1000-1500 words) applicants should outline the focal research areas they are interested in, describe their motivation, and summarize how they intend to contribute to the SDGnexus Network, including teaching.
For further information on the Zentrum für internationale Entwicklungs- und Umweltforschung (ZEU) see https://www.uni-giessen.de/zeu.