Vacancy for Program Officer I for Europe and Central Asia in Washington, District of ColumbiaJobs 21.09.2021
Please Note: Solidarity Center staff currently are allowed to telework full time. With a vaccine mandate and safety protocols in place in our facilities, staff will be returning to our office November 1, with options for part-time telework. The Program Officer I is a headquarters position and as such will be expected to work in our Washington, DC building at least three days per week.
Anticipated Start Date: November 15, 2021
Deadline for Application: Until Filled
Solidarity Center seeks a Program Officer for a newly created position in our Europe and Central Asia Department. This individual will be responsible for day-to-day contact with and support to field offices and programs in the region. The Program Officer may be assigned to work on any project in the region or may assist with the development of new projects. The position requires someone who is conversant with current events relevant to the on-going political, economic, social and trade union developments in the region.
The Program Officer will need to write persuasive proposals, describe complex activities and develop budgets for those activities. As someone who will participate in the implementation of education, training and other programs, this individual must have the writing skills necessary to produce project reports and evaluations. The Program Officer also will track program budgets and activities in their assigned portfolio. Additionally, this individual will prepare and exchange information and coordinate activities with other departments.
The Program Officer will assist the Regional Program Director (or a Senior Program Officer) on details of programs in their assigned portfolio. At the direction of the Regional Program Director and based on the needs of Solidarity Center, the Program Officer may be assigned to any program office on a temporary basis. This individual will assist with and, when necessary, provide logistical support for international visitors and participants in Washington-based programs conducted by Solidarity Center, the AFL-CIO, its affiliates, Global Union Federations and/or other related organizations. The Program Officer will attend meetings and conferences at the request of the Regional Program Director or Senior Program Officer. This individual will travel to the region when necessary, and can, on a temporary basis, provide back-up support for field representatives.
- Some knowledge of international relations, including trade union and socio-economic and political developments in the U.S. and abroad
- Previous trade union experience (highly desirable)
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments with limited supervision
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously
- Ability to work and interact easily with a wide variety of people
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, labor relations or a related field and/or five years of related work experience
- Good communications and writing skills
- Computer literacy for word processing and simple spreadsheets
Persons considered for this position must agree to serve in a field position abroad, on a temporary basis, based on the needs of the Center. Proficiency in any of the following languages is preferred: Russian, Armenian, Georgian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bosnian, Albanian, Macedonian, Kyrgyz
Supervisor: Regional Program Director for Europe and Central Asia
- Provide specified field offices with programmatic financial and administrative support;
- Write/edit proposals, reports, letters, and other correspondence;
- Conduct issue research for use by Center headquarters and field offices;
- Assist field offices to arrange study tours in the U.S. for visitors from the region, and conduct meetings with a wide variety of visitors from the region involved in efforts to promote labor rights and standards and democracy;
- Coordinate activities with the Center’s other program and functional offices;
- Assist, as required, the Center’s other program and functional offices;
- Develop coalition-building contacts with U.S. labor, government and non-governmental organizations in the Washington area;
- Provide guidance to field offices on AFL-CIO and Center policies and priorities;
- Assist field offices in program planning;
- Develop and implement regional and sub-regional programs and programs in countries without a resident field representative;
- Provide field offices with information on USAID, NED, and U.S. government rules and regulations that affect program management;
- Recruit outside program consultants and other technical staff in accordance with field needs;
- Provide technical assistance and support to conduct program evaluations of field projects and recruiting evaluators;
- Support field trips by Center personnel;
- Share information on country conditions and labor issues as requested by Washington-based U.S. government offices and Congress;
- Travel on a TDY basis to conduct and/or oversee program development and/or implementation in countries without a Center field office, and;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This is a collective bargaining unit position, generously compensated with a gross annual salary starting at approximately $64,500 USD. A robust benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, a retirement plan and pension, life insurance, and ample paid time off for holidays, vacation, and medical leave.
The Solidarity Center cultivates the values of diversity, equality, and inclusion among its staff and partners. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under applicable law. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
For Candidates Applying from the AFL-CIO: Please be advised that we will inform the AFL-CIO when any of its current employees apply for positions with Solidarity Center. This notification is a matter of policy for all candidates, regardless of each individual’s qualifications and competitiveness for a specific opportunity.
Apply now: https://solidaritycenter.bamboohr.com/jobs