Open Call for Editor-in-ChiefJobs 20.09.2022
Open Call for Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Zoology
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to join the editorial team of Journal of Zoology.
Journal of Zoology publishes high-quality, original research papers that advance our understanding of animals and their systems. Topics include, but are not limited to, ecology, animal behaviour, anatomy, developmental biology, evolution, genetics, genomics, morphology and physiology.
We welcome applications from any academic who feels they could drive the development of Journal of Zoology from an editorial and community perspective. By making this open call we are aiming to attract applications from researchers around the world.
The main responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief include:
- Working with Senior Editors to develop the editorial strategy and direction of the Journal
- Providing editorial oversight to ensure fair and consistent peer review and the highest standards of scientific practice in the research published in the Journal
- Acting as an ambassador and creating a sense of community around the Journal via e.g., editorials, features or social media posts, so that readers and potential authors are encouraged to see the Journal as a home for their research
- Commissioning Special Issues, reviews or mini-series that improve understanding of a particular topic in zoology
- Leading the Journal’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion initiatives by creating opportunities for wider participation
- Promoting the Journal at conferences
- Attending Editorial Board meetings
The Editor-in-Chief is not expected to handle submitted papers but may be asked to approve final decisions made by editorial board members. Administrative support is provided by the Editorial Office at the Zoological Society of London (ZSL). The Editor-in-Chief will receive an annual honorarium of £1500.
A researcher with a PhD in a field relevant to the Journal’s scope
Strong publication record for current career stage
Expertise in relevant subject areas
Previous editorial experience
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to JZO.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please outline your editorial experience to date and describe why you would like to join the team. For further information, please email email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2022