The Master's Degree program in International Security Studies (MISS) in n Prague, Czech RepublicMaster 28.01.2016
Master in International Security Studies (MISS) is a two-year English-language Master's degree program taught at the prestigious Charles University in Prague, one of the best universities in Europe, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities. It is designed to give students a solid grounding in core security issues through a broad array of course options. Whether it is Applying Security Concepts in International Politics or Comparative Counterterrorism Policy, MISS course offerings stimulate students to pursue and further develop their intellectual and professional interests.You can find out more about the program at the Faculty of Social Science's website.
We believe it is essential that security-minded students have access to global luminaries in the field in small group settings. It is only through specialized training programs like this one that highly trained young security professionals are capable of effectively managing the complex, security-related challenges of the 21st century.
To this end, PSSI Young Scholars Program offers a full calendar of activities that will advance your career through extracurricular programs (RMSSP, PSSI NATO Summer School, Energy Security Academy, etc), and ensures a worry-free beginning to your studies – through logistical and administrative assistance (e.g. visa assistance, housing support, orientation).
- Tuition fees for the MISS program are 3300 USD per semester
- PSSI Young Scholars Program is 750 USD per semester
PSSI Young Scholars Program features (please note that there is a limited number of available spots):
- Robinson-Martin Security Scholars Program – an elite groups of students is selected annually for a two-semester series of lectures and roundtable discussions with senior current and former security policy professionals from the Czech Republic, the U.S., Europe and elsewhere;
- PSSI NATO Summer School – in cooperation with the NATO's Public Diplomacy Division, PSSI convenes an intensive, one week program for highly motivated students (representing some dozens nations) on a campus outside of Prague that is conducive to near round-the-clock discussions over breaking global security challenges. Topics include such issues as the Ukraine crisis, the new brand of Russian hybrid warfare, the trajectory of cyber warfare, economic and financial statecraft, the appropriate scope of NATO out-of-area coverage,etc.;
- Energy Security Academy – this intensive, one-week lecture/seminar sessions are designed to provide talented Czech and international students with a rich and nuanced understanding of this relatively new dimension of security studies. Leading foreign and domestic experts lecture on issues ranging from an updated overview of the subject to specific energy security policies of regional players;
- PSSI Alumni program – connects, supports and benefits the PSSI "extended family" that accounts for around 500 graduates from around the world. We regularly organize a number of social and networking events to facilitate career-related exchanges;
- Invitations to PSSI events and conferences – on a range of issues addressing some of the most significant developments on the global security stage (The Middle East Peace Process: Old Solutions, New Solutions or No Solutions?, Advancing the Trilateral Europe-U.S.-Japan Space Security Partnership).
- Volunteering and internship opportunities – through our contacts in the NGO community, we can help you find opportunities for work experience. As a student of MISS, you can also participate in a rich network of exchange programs and research internships across Europe (e.g. Erasmus+ program)
Additional logistical and administrative assistance:
- Welcome party & airport pick up – enjoy a worry-free start to your stay and be greeted at the Vaclav Havel airport (PRG) by a friendly PSSI representative;
- Visa assistence – assistance with obtaining your long-term visa (or residence permit);
- Housing support – is provided by PSSI Staff and you will be advised to select from a wide variety of housing options, including halls of residence, shared and private apartments;
- Orientation – feel comfortable navigating the city by visiting Prague's most important locations;
- Excursions – experience the cultural diversity through a series of trips outside of the city;
- Insurance, bank acount, local phone number, public transport – PSSI will provide you with valuable information about these essentials.
PSSI can also take you through the individual steps of the application process. We will work with you to fine-tune your academic CV and perfect your cover letter to maximize their appeal. PSSI will fill out the entire application and pay the registration fee at Charles University on behalf of students.
The early admissions deadline for academic year 2016/2017 is February 29th, 2016 (strongly recommended for visa purposes). Final deadline is April 30th, 2016.
Prices (Please note that PSSI Young Scholars Program does not cover the tuition fees for the MISS program)
|per semester||2-year program|
|MISS||3300 USD||13200 USD|
|PSSI Young Scholars||750 USD||3000 USD|
|Comprehensive Application Support is 95 USD (non-refundable)|
Contact person: Jakub Tomášek – tomasek at pssi.cz