Call for Applications for the Latvian state scholarships 2019/2020Master 11.02.2019
Deadline: 1 April 2019
Open to: foreign students, researchers and teaching staff
Scholarship: for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month; for PhD students – 670 EUR per month; The amount of the Latvian scholarship granted by the VIAA for summer school is 711 EUR per person for the duration of the summer school.
Latvian Government is now accepting applications for ‘Study Scholarships’ to pursue undergraduate, master and PhD degree. These scholarships are available to international students for the academic year 2019-2020.
Scholarships are offered to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies for studies, research and participation in summer schools.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Citizens from countries which have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships;
- Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2019);
- Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year –a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months);
- Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme;
- Nationality: Citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement can apply for these Latvian government scholarships.
- The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
- All study programmes in English at Latvian higher education institutions are not free of charge. The Latvian scholarship holder can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia.
- In limited numbers the host higher education institution provides the scholarship holder with a place in a students’ dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation at the international student dormitories need to be submitted one month before arriving at a respective higher education institution.
- In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days no scholarship is provided.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses from a home country to and from Latvia are not covered by the Latvian scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
- Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships.
- The amount of the Latvian scholarship granted by the VIAA for summer school is 711 EUR per person for the duration of the summer school.
- The scholarships will be transferred by the VIAA to the summer school organizers, no money will be handed out to the Latvian scholarship winners.
- The participants of the summer schools have to cover travel expenses from the country of origin to the summer school location in Latvia themselves.
The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA www.viaa.gov.lv/scholarships at the beginning of June 2019. All candidates will receive an official decision sent by e-mail in June 2019 and will be available on the profile of the candidate on the on-line application system.
In order to apply, register HERE.
If you have any questions, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org.