UK Visa Support For Ukrainian NationalsNews 24.09.2022
Guidance on support available to Ukrainian nationals and their family members.
If you have family in the UK
The Ukraine Family Scheme enables you to come to the UK or to stay longer if you’re a family member of:
- a British citizen
- someone with permission to settle in the UK, for example they have indefinite leave to remain or EU settled or pre-settled status
- someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
It is free to apply.
You’ll be able to live, work, study and claim benefits in the UK.
If you do not have family in the UK
You can apply to come to the UK if you have a named sponsor or on any other existing visa you’re eligible to apply for.
Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine)
If you do not have family in the UK, you can apply for the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme.
The scheme enables people and organisations in the UK (sponsors) to bring Ukrainians and their family members to the UK under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.
If you have a sponsor you can:
- come to the UK for up to 3 years
- work in the UK
- access public services and claim benefits
Other visas you can apply for
You can make an application to visit, work, study or join family in the UK. Check which visas are available.
You’ll need to complete your online application form. You’ll get a GWF reference number. You can use this to book an appointment at a visa application centre to have your fingerprints and photograph taken.
Visa application centres in Ukraine are currently closed. You can apply at a visa application centre in any country if you are able to travel safely.
Visa application centres are currently operating throughout Europe including:
If you’re already in the UK on a visa
If you’re Ukrainian you’ll be able to stay longer. You can apply:
- to the Ukraine Extension Scheme
- to extend your current visa
- to switch to a different visa
Ukraine Extension Scheme
You can apply to the Ukraine Extension Scheme if you’re Ukrainian or you have a Ukrainian family member.
You can apply for this scheme if one of the following is true:
- you held permission to be in the UK on or between 18 March 2022 and 16 May 2023 – the permission does not need to cover the whole period
- you previously held permission to be in the UK and that permission expired on or after 1 January 2022
Read more information about applying to the Ukraine Extension Scheme.
Extend your visa or switch to a different visa
If you’re Ukrainian, you can also stay in the UK by extending your current visa or switching to another one if you meet the eligibility requirements. You can extend or switch even if your current visa does not usually let you do this.
If you have a Ukrainian family member, you can apply to extend your current visa or switch to another one if your visa allows that.
If you’re travelling with pets
Read guidance on bringing pets to the UK from Ukraine.