Vacancy for Assistant Professors in Sociology at the University GroningenPhD 14.08.2017
The research programme of the Sociology department is focused on the interrelation between social networks, solidarity, and inequality. The programme contains five substantive clusters. The clusters address individual level outcomes at all stages of the life-course (childhood, adolescence, mid-life, and old age), and collective level dynamics in communities and organizations:
(1) Social Development of Young People investigates the link between networks and positive outcomes, goals, friendships, and romantic relationships as well as negative outcomes, problem behaviour, and bullying among school-aged youth
(2) Healthy and Happy Ageing focuses on the interrelation between social relations, self-regulation, health, and well-being in order to examine under which circumstances health and well-being can be maintained for as long as possible during the lifespan
(3) Institutions, Organisations, and Sustainable Cooperation addresses the problem which institutional arrangements bring about and sustain cooperative relationships that create added value for individuals, organisations, and societies
(4) Norms and Networks develops mathematical and game-theoretical models and computer simulations to study micro-macro dynamics of cooperation and social integration in neighbourhoods, schools, and organizations, and conducts related empirical research
(5) Statistical Methods for the Analysis of Social Network Data develops statistical models and software for the analysis of cross-sectional, longitudinal, and multi-level network data.
Research activities of the assistant professors should be in line with research topics that already take place in the department.
The programme performs very well. The department is part of the ICS research school (Interuniversity Centre for Social Science Theory and Methodology), has established faculty of international stature, many talented faculty members, and a large number of graduate students.
- PhD in the Social Sciences, favourably Sociology
- a competitive research track record commensurate with the level of appointment
- the motivation and potential to acquire externally financed projects
- excellent academic writing and presentation skills
- demonstrable interest in teaching and excellent teaching skills
- good collaboration and communication skills
- the possession or the willingness to acquire a BKO (i.e. University Teaching Qualification).
Conditions of employment
You will be appointed for a period of a maximum of four years, with an evaluation moment after one year. The position is available immediately. The candidates for this position are expected to play an active role in both the teaching as well as the research programme.
You may apply for this position until 8 September 12:00 pm / before 9 September 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae, a list of publications, statements of research and teaching interests and the names of two referees.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Contract type: 48 months
University of Groningen
Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences
+31 50 3636240,
Prof N. Steverink, Director of Education
+31 50 3637903,