Call for Applications: 14 exciting PhD positions at Hamburg' Data Science Graduate School
14 Open PhD Positions in Data Science
Apply now until December 1st, 2021!
PhD Topic Overview (Call open until December 1st, 2021)
DePhaCTo: Deep Learning for X-Ray Phase Contrast Tomography
Polycrystalline Materials: Automatized Diffraction Pattern Recognition for Scanning Surface X-Ray Crystallography of Polycrystalline Materials
Quantum Dynamics: Time Evolution for Quantum Dynamics with Efficient Solvers
NN4CryoEM: Identification of Macromolecules in Cryo-Electron Microscopy Reconstruction Maps Using Neuronal Networks
Fault Prediction: Board Level Fault Prediction for the Embedded Sensor Systems at the European XFEL
Heavy Higgs Boson: Search for Heavy Higgs Bosons and Axion-Like Particles with the CMS Experiment via Deep Neural Networks
Nanotomography: Machine Learning for the Automated Selection and Reconstruction of Multi-Modal Nanotomography Data of Bone-Implant Interfaces
Rate-Equation Systems: Development of Machine Learning Approaches for Solving Large Rate-Equation Systems
ML4Collider Data: Topology- and Dimensionality-Aware Learning of Physics Data
LeCASE Pr: Leveraging Continuous & Assisted Software Engineering to Study and Support Development Processes at Free Electron Lasers
Crystallographic Analysis: New Algorithmic Approaches to Macromolecular Crystallographic Analysis
LeCASE Ar: Leveraging Continuous & Assisted Software Engineering to Assess and Improve Software Artefacts' Quality at Free Electron Lasers
Quantum Simulations: Quantum Simulations of Laser-Induced Electron Diffraction using Recurrent Neural Networks
Before you start to prepare your application we strongly encourage you to read the admission requirements that also list the necessary documents you will need for your application. You can apply for up to two PhD research topics of your interest. During the online application process you will need to answer the two following questions:
- Why are you interested in these PhD topics?
- What is your relevant experience in the research fields of the chosen PhD topics?
Overview of the selection process of the next call for PhD applications 2021/2022:
- Call Opening: Early September, 2021
- Submission of the application and the required documents via our online application portal until December 1, 2021
- Pre-screening interview (video conference) of potentially interesting candidates by the involved Principal Investigators (January, 2022)
- Online Admission Workshop at DESY in Hamburg (presentation of your Master thesis research to the Admission Committee with representatives from all partner insitutions and individual interviews with Principal Investigators) on February 24th and 25th, 2022
- Decision on acceptance by March, 2022
- Leading interdisciplinary research between domain research fields and computer/data science or applied mathematics
- Research at world-leading large-scale research facilities
(PETRA III, FLASH, European XFEL, LHC)
- Attractive, interdisciplinary thesis topics
- Excellent working conditions at a vibrant and inspiring research campus
- Partnership with leading institutions and organisations including:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY),
Universität Hamburg (UHH),
Technische Universität Hamburg (TUHH),
Helmut-Schmidt Universität (HSU),
the Institute of Materials Research of the Helmholtz-Zentrum hereon GmbH (Hereon),
the Department for Structural Infection Biology of the Helmholtz Center for Infection Research (HZI),
the European XFEL GmbH (EuXFEL),
the Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter (MPSD),
the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW)
- Close supervision and support by a panel of established professors and scientists
(consisting of a panel chair, a professor from the natural sciences and a professor from information/computer/mathematical science)
- Transferable skills and career development
- Three year full-time work contract at the level of the German TV-L13 salary scheme
- Friendly and international work environment
In order to apply you need to have a Master's Degree (or an estimated date of Graduation within the same year of application) in computer science, applied mathematics or natural sciences, preferably with an interdisciplinary training at the interface of natural and computer science or mathematics. Degrees from foreign universities and master degrees in non-research oriented study programs (Fachhochschule) might be eligible. For further information, consult the doctorate regulations (Promotionsordnung) of the respective partner university.
The following documents are required for your application:
- Letter of Application
(Why are you interested in this study program? What are your current research interests? In English, maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae with relevant credentials, qualifications and list of publications (in English, maximum 2 pages).
- Certificates of your Master and Bachelor Degrees
(We accept degrees in German or English language, or certified and notarised translations of your degree)
- Transcript of Records
(in German or English, or certified and notarised translations thereof)
- Abstract of your Bachelor and Master thesis
(in German or English)
- Proof of adequate English proficiency
(see below, can be filed subsequent to the application until end of December, 2021)
- Summary of computer-science skills
(Please comment on your experience with scientific software, in programming and in software development. Maximum 1 page)
- Letter of recommendation from your official Master thesis advisor and optionally a second letter of recommendation
(by one of your professors, or previous employers or supervisors)
- Contact Information of your Master thesis advisor and a second reference, that you authorise to being contacted by our selection committee to investigate your past scientific and professional activities and academic performance by submitting your application.
All prospective students must submit proof of adequate English proficiency. The following proofs are accepted:
- A university degree in an academic study program taught in English
- TOEFL paper and pencil test: 580 points with a score of 45 in the essay (TWE score)
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (listening, writing, speaking, reading)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Results A, B, C
- Proof of at least five years of English lessons at a German/Austrian/Swiss school
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academics: Band 6,5, Good Competent User, with at least 6,0 per skill
- Proof of English proficiency with the Level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) from a recognized institution
TOEFL ITP and TOEIC are not accepted. Acceptance of other than the above-mentioned language certificates remains subject to approval by the admissions board.
Applications are accepted only via the online application portal. Please notice that email applications will not be considered.
Please carefully read our admission requirements before submitting your application. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application to your email address. We strongly recommend to keep this information for future inquiries regarding your application.
The deadline to submit your application is December 1st, 2021.
Applicants will be chosen based on their academic qualification, motivation, scientific interest, letters of recommendation and aptitude.