Ph.D. Research Grant Announcement 2023/24!PhD 07.01.2023
Call for Applications -- The Orient-Institut Istanbul is pleased to invite applications for Ph.D. research grants for 2023/24. The purpose of the grant is to provide support for research in Turkey to Ph.D. candidates not living in Turkey. If the fellowship is not, or only partially, spent in Istanbul, a close connection to the institute is required. Upon consultation this may also be arranged through supervision by members of the Orient-Institut's Scientific Advisory Board or other scholars associated with the institute. Grants are preferably available to support research in one of the institute’s research areas
1. Musicological research on the Ottoman Empire and Turkey
2. Narrative sources on Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire
3. Past and contemporary forms of religious expression in Anatolia since the 11th century
4. Linguistic Turkology
5. Science, Technology and Society in Turkey
7. Entanglements between Turkish or Ottoman society, culture and literatures on the one, and Southeast Europe, the Mediterranean, Iran, The Caucasus and Eastern Europe on the other side. The migration of academics and artists is part of this field.
8. Ottoman modernities.
The research grant consists of a monthly stipend of € 1,100 for the duration of usually ten to twelve months.
Short term grants of up to 90 days may also be made available. Travel expenses of a journey to and from Turkey will be reimbursed. Start of the scholarship should be at the earliest April 15th, 2023 and at latest September 15th, 2023.
Prospective applicants are expected to hold an M.A. degree in a related academic discipline. As a rule, a complete application is to demonstrate the necessity of conducting research in Istanbul or Turkey at large. Good command of Turkish or another source language necessary for the proposed project is obligatory. As the Orient-Institut Istanbul aims at creating an open and supportive academic environment, grant holders are expected to attend colloquia and conferences organised by the institute and to give a public presentation of their own research. Research stays outside Istanbul must be cleared with the institute's director.
Applications to Prof. Dr. Christoph K. Neumann Director of the Orient-Institut Istanbulmust be submitted via our online application portal by January 22nd, 2023. For the reference letter, please share the link
with the academic supervisor you have asked for a reference letter to upload the reference letter there.
Complete applications must include the following:
- Cover letter with indication of the desired period of the fellowship
- Outline of the Ph.D./ research project
- Explanatory statement and research schedule for the stay in Istanbul/Turkey
- Letter of recommendation written and uploaded by an academic supervisor
- Copy of M.A. diploma
- Documentation of proficiency in Turkish or another relevant source language