Call for Applications, Europe's Biggest Student Conference on SustainabilityConferences 29.01.2019
Deadline: 1st March 2019
Open to: participants from all countries and disciplines
Venue: 29 April -3 May 2019 in Gothenburg, Sweden
In 2015, the world saw two hopeful breakthroughs for humanity: first, the global adoption of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG); and second, after 21 years of international negotiations, the signing of the Paris Agreement. Since then, however, a lot has changed. Old and new conflicts have escalated, giving rise to the largest involuntary migration since the Second World War. A slow paced recovery from the global financial crisis has left many in doubt of the ruling capacity of their government – fuelling populist sentiment in many countries. Furthermore, income inequality is rising within and between countries, often at the expense of the most vulnerable populations and communities.
Today’s youth is facing a future of complex and global issues. As future agents of change, thinking holistically, interdisciplinary and transnationally has never been more important to find sustainable solutions on a local level. This challenge lies in the very centre of the 24th edition of EuroEnviro, taking place in Gothenburg. Gathering 70 students from different academic disciplines and universities across Europe, this conference aims to provide the opportunity for students to meet and work together with, as well as learn from, others with a passion for sustainability. The participants will be given tools and knowledge through lectures, study visits and workshops, encouraging them to think and act in unison on how to deliver on the promises made to the future by the leaders of humanity in 2015.
The theme of the conference – Interdisciplinary Solutions for Sustainable Development – materialises through the creation of 10 projects groups, based on themes identified by the World Economic Forum Global Shapers Survey. During the week of the conference, the groups will produce a global problem description, as well as a local solution, for a specific question defined by experts within a relevant academic field. Each of the 10 questions will be the subject of one lecture – with the purpose of inspiring each project group in its work, but also for the other participants to recognize the interconnectedness of the 10 questions and the 17 SDGs. On the last day of the conference, the result of each project group will be presented in the form of a pitch. Hence, continuing to inspire the students to find both possibilities and obstacles in solving the problems holistically.
This year’s edition of EuroEnviro also goes beyond the scope of the conference. Putting the local solutions of complex problems at the centre, EuroEnviro will serve as a network where ideas will continue to be exchanged. The end product of this conference is an infrastructure – aiming to facilitate the collaboration, inspiration and efficiency of the projects for future agents of change.
EuroEnviro welcomes participants from all countries and disciplines. To participate, you have to be a university student or a recent graduate. You should be involved in sustainability issues either as a part of your studies or through free-time activities – or want to become involved. You can be either a bachelor, master or PhD student – what is important is your motivation to learn and contribute. We encourage everyone interested in the symposium to apply- irrespective of gender, eventual disabilities, sexual orientation, political affiliation, ethnic origin, social background or any other factor.
We will consider applicants from outside of Europe. However, students from European universities will be given priority in the application process if the number of applicants is greater than the number of available places.
The participation fee of 200€ includes food, accommodation, academic program, social program and transportation to and from venues. And 80€ if you are a student at the University of Gothenburg or Chalmers and reside in Gothenburg..
So you have decided to apply to EuroEnviro 2019 and you do not know what to do next? Fear not, we have a step-by-step explanation of what you need to do and what will happen in the coming weeks.
- You need to fill in the application form and to reach the form, you need to click on the link called “Apply to EuroEnviro 2019 in Gothenburg, Sweden” which you will find at the bottom of this page or on the Homepage of this website. It will appear at 12 noon on 21 January 2019. The applications close on 1 March 2019 at 23:59.
- Once you have reached the form page (a Google Form), fill in the required fields. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful candidates will be selected on the basis of the answers provided in the application form.
- On 4 March 2019, all applicants will be informed whether or not their application has been successful or not (or if they have been put on the waiting list). If accepted to the conference, please RSVP and inform us whether or not you still want your place as soon as possible.
- If you are travelling by train, bus, or ferry to Gothenburg, you are entitled to a sustainable travel compensation of 50% of the cost of your travelling fees (with a maximum limit of 110€). This, however, is contingent on you showing a copy of the ticket before paying the conference fee. For administrative reasons, the amount of your travelling compensation will be deducted from the conference fee and cannot be received after having paid the conference fee.
- By 15 March 2019, all successful applicants must show a proof of payment of the conference fee. Applicants who have not shown a proof of payment by 15 March 2019 will be considered as dropouts and lose their place to somebody else.
- By 18 March 2019, the applicants chosen to fill empty spots will have been informed. Successful candidates are encouraged to RSVP and inform us whether or not you still want your place as soon as possible. The same rules apply concerning travel compensation for this group, please show a copy of your ticket before you pay your conference fee. For administrative reasons, the amount of your travelling compensation will be deducted from the conference fee and cannot be received after having paid the conference fee.
- By 25 March 2019, all successful applicants from the second wave will have to show a proof of payment.
In order to apply, register HERE.
If you have any questions, check the or write to: email@example.com.