Call for Application: Opportunity to Become the Director of UNESCO-MGIEP in New DelhiEvents 22.03.2020
Deadline: 4 April 2020
UNESCO, as the lead agency for Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Inclusive Quality Education is currently seeking a pro-active, visionary Director for the Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP). The right candidate will be a seasoned leader, able to foster trust through an inclusive approach, and inspire others.
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is a UNESCO specialized education institute. The Institute aims to promote the development of regional, subregional and national institutional capacities in education for peace and sustainable development, and to meet the related research and capacity-building needs of developing countries and countries in transition, with special focus on Asia and the Pacific region.
Guided by the Institute’s Governing Board, and under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the Director of MGIEP is responsible for the leadership of the Institute as well as for planning, implementing and reporting on its Programme and Budget. Specifically, the incumbent shall:
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership for the Institute in the pursuit of its main goals;
- Develop strategies and activities to strengthen cooperation in the area of education for peace, education for sustainable development (ESD), and Global Citizenship Education (GCED), and facilitate the Institute’s contribution to the discourse on the futures of education;
- Manage and design operational mechanisms and/or action plans, required to support and ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the Institute’s operations, as well as the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the programs of the Institute;
- Maintain close cooperation with the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, with national authorities, United Nations agencies, development banks, bilateral organizations, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, and other partners;
- Ensure close cooperation with UNESCO’s Education Sector and other Sectors;
- Mobilize, manage and coordinate resources for the Institute’s programs;
- Maintain and manage a motivated and effective staff.
The selected candidates will be provided with the following benefits.
- A basic salary
- Other benefits may include (if applicable): 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Applicants are required to meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education and related social sciences fields.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of education at national and international level.
- Experience in administering and developing research and training programmes in fields related to education for peace and sustainable development (ESD).
- Experience in strategic planning, change management and leading teams.
- Experience in resource mobilization and partnership development
Commitment to the Institute’s mandate, vision and strategic direction.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills, sound analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity, professional integrity and political astuteness.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes, manage financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, as well as in implementing them effectively, and devising implementation, monitoring and evaluation strategies.
- Ability to lead change initiatives and change processes at the management level, and familiarity with the leadership of an institution accountable to governing bodies.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, as well as demonstrated partnership development and ability to mobilize resources in an entrepreneurial spirit, and in support of institutional development.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to provide intellectual leadership and motivate teams in a multicultural environment, as well as ensure training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.