Call for Applications for the SAV 2020 Visiting FellowshipFellowship 17.10.2019
Hosted by the Stimson Center South Asia Program since 2014, the South Asian Voices Visiting Fellowship is a research fellowship for outstanding analysts, scholars, and students in India and Pakistan dedicated to the study of strategic and security issues in the subcontinent. It combines professional development of research, writing, and public presentation skills with extensive exposure to the D.C. policy community. Fellows will develop a research project while meeting with senior scholars at universities and think tanks in the United States along with leading practitioners working on South Asian security issues in the U.S. government. You may read more about the SAV Visiting Fellowship here.
The SAV Visiting Fellowship runs on an annual basis. In 2020, four SAV Visiting Fellows from India and Pakistan will be selected for a 12-month fellowship term starting in spring 2020. They will spend eight weeks of that period in residence at the Stimson Center in Washington, D.C. between June and August 2020.
Of the one-year fellowship, eight weeks will be spent in residence at the Stimson Center, during which engagement with the U.S.-based policy and research community will be prioritized. There will also be ten months of research and writing in the fellows’ home countries.
1. A co-authored or single-authored policy memo developed while in residence at Stimson;
2. Ten op-eds, including at least one co-authored article with a member of the 2020 Visiting Fellow cohort, to be published on the SAV platform over the twelve-month period;
3. Participation in the Stimson Visiting Fellows salon presentation;
4. Occasional substantive contributions to Stimson Center products and intellectual community (i.e. peer review, podcast interviews) throughout the one-year fellowship.
Application materials will include:
- A 500-word essay detailing the applicant’s research interests, experience, and how the fellowship fits into their career goals;
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages detailing the applicant’s professional and educational accomplishments;
- A writing sample of no more than two single-spaced pages;
- A 250-word research brief on the topic the applicant would like to explore in their policy memo;
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or former employer explaining what qualifications, skills, and experiences make the applicant an excellent fit for the fellowship;
- A completed Google Form
Applications will be due no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Friday, November 15th, 2019.
SAV makes an active effort to select a diverse and balanced cohort. In the 500-word essay, the applicant may also wish to elaborate on how they could contribute to the diversity of the 2020 SAV Visiting Fellowship cohort.
Fellowship application materials should be sent to SouthAsiaAdmin@stimson.org in a single PDF with the subject header “Applicant Name – SAV Visiting Fellowship Application 2020”.
Letters of recommendation can also be sent to the SouthAsiaAdmin@stimson.org account with the subject header “Applicant Name – SAV Visiting Fellowship 2020”.
Fellows are selected based on criteria such as the quality of their research proposal, research and writing aptitude, and fit with the Stimson Center’s research interests. All applicants will be considered, but successful candidates will likely have some or all of the following:
- Frequent and/or high-quality contributions to SAV;
- Demonstrable, substantive experience researching South Asia security or strategic issues;
- A track record of publications in journals, books, or newspapers/magazines;
- A master’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
Candidates who have not previously received an international fellowship will also receive greater consideration.