Call for Applications: Young Professionals Program: Part-Time Paid InternshipInternships 23.03.2020
Deadline: not specified
Who We Are: The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor is a youth-led independent, nonprofit organization that advocates for the human rights of all persons across Europe and the MENA region, particularly those who live in the throes of war, political unrest, occupation, and/or have been displaced due to persecution or armed conflict.
With internship opportunities, Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor hopes to build on efforts aimed at raising awareness of human rights violations across the MENA region as well as knowledge of international laws and conventions, developing human rights advocacy skills, and providing interns with valuable hands-on experience and training.
We Are Seeking: Our Europe Regional Office is seeking undergraduate or graduate students (or recent graduates) for the online positions of: Intern Research, Public Relations Intern, and Advocacy and Lobbying Intern.
The paid internship is part-time and will be conducted online. The dates and hours are flexible, but ideally, the candidate interns should be available for 10-20 hours per week for 10 weeks (subject to extension for another 10 weeks). The candidates will intern closely with both the Europe and MENA teams, assisting with advocacy, communications and research concerning armed conflicts, refugees and migrants, minority groups and human rights progress/violations in the MENA region and Europe.
The intern will gain practical knowledge and build skills in human rights related advocacy and research, including in issues related to refugees and migrants, stateless people, the UN bodies and work, the European Parliament, international conventions as well as conflict-focused laws, customs and conventions. In addition to developing writing, editing and speaking skills. Once training is completed, trainees will receive a certificate of experience.
- Field and online research on human rights violations in target areas.
- Conducting interviews, taking photos and recording videos of target areas.
- Drafting and/or editing press releases, reports and position papers and other publications.
- Assisting in drafting the legal framework in reports and publications.
- Conducting communications and advocacy.
- Representing the organization in media and international events, including sessions at UN Human Rights Council, conferences, seminars, etc.
- Identifying opportunities and calls for proposals for projects related to the organization's goals and mission, and drafting project proposals.
- Creating media content, including video scripts and social media posts.
Applicants must be:
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a bachelor’s or master’s program of Human Rights, Journalism, Law, Political science or any other related field.
- Have excellent command of English (French or Arabic are desirable).
- Well-organized, self-motivated, and reliable with a strong interest in human rights.
- Relevant coursework and previous experience in international law, UN frameworks, EU institutions is desirable.
- Have presentation, writing, editing, research, oral advocacy and/or communication skills.
- Computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office and internet applications) are required.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately by sending an email to email@example.com, attaching a resume, a cover letter, and a brief writing sample. Only complete applications will be reviewed.