Vacancy for Country Director in Baku, AzerbaijanJobs 16.01.2018
World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is looking for Director to WWF Azerbaijan.
From its origins as a small group of committed wildlife enthusiasts, WWF has grown into one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organizations – supported by 5 million people and active in over 100 countries on five continents.
WWF is looking for a motivated, energetic, competent manager to lead its branch office in Azerbaijan. The Azerbaijan Office represents WWF in Azerbaijan and has the responsibility for ensuring delivery of WWF’s programme in the country.
The Director of WWF Azerbaijan office reports to the Director of WWF Caucasus and will be based in the WWF Azerbaijan office premises in Baku, Azebaijan.
- Position title: Country Director, WWF Azerbaijan Office, Branch Office of WWF International
- Reports to: Director, Caucasus Programme Office
- Supervises: WWF Azerbaijan Office staff
- Grade: XX
Mission of the WWF Caucasus Programme:
The WWF Caucasus Programme ensures effective and efficient delivery of a coherent and focused conservation programme, that addresses priority conservation issues in Caucasus and contributes to WWF’s global programme priorities. This is achieved through three offices in the Caucasus Programme (CauPO). The Azerbaijan Office represents WWF in Azerbaijan and has the responsibility for ensuring delivery of WWF’s programme in the country.
Provides vision and leadership for the WWF programme in Azerbaijan and effective high level representation of WWF with key audiences to build strength and support for the programme. Takes responsibility for the delivery of the conservation programme; directs and manages the communication, financial operations and marketing of the programme in line with WWF’s policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient delivery on WWF’s priorities in Azerbaijan as well as the trans-boundary work in the Caucasus region. Ensures that all operating rules and systems are adequate to maintain high performance on WWF’s standards and Key Performance Indicators.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides overall direction and leadership for the development of a Conservation Plan based on WWF’s agreed priorities, and a Business Plan for the WWF Azerbaijan to ensure the growth, financing and delivery
- Ensures timely and high quality technical, financial and management reporting to donors, WWF International and all relevant parts of the WWF Network according to agreed formats.
- Establishes and oversees a monitoring and evaluation system to measure the performance of the WWF Azerbaijan programme against the CauPO Conservation Plan and Business Plan, and reports regularly to the WWF Caucasus Regional Representative and other relevant parts of the WWF network as required.
- Ensures cooperation with WWF International and other network partners on financial, operational and programmatic audits and follows up on audit recommendations in a timely manner to optimise the efficiency and effectiveness in the operations of the programme.
- Establishes an effective internal communication system to ensure that all staff working for the WWF Azerbaijan are fully informed of WWFs Mission, Global Priorities and Strategic Approaches and kept abreast of new developments, policies and procedures as and when they arise.
- Represents WWF Azerbaijan Office and ensures effective communications and strategic partnerships with relevant parts of the WWF network, governments, international organisations, other non-governmental organisations, industry leaders, key supporters and key stakeholders.
- Leads by example, and develops staff capacity through effective performance management to motivate the achievement of results and promote a safe, healthy and ethical workplace.
- Ensures that WWF’s activities in Azerbaijan comply with relevant Acts, legal requirements (in particular under the respective country agreements with the relevant ministries).
- Coordinates the non-executive advisory board, “The Friends of WWF” in Azerbaijan.
Required Qualifications and experience
- Advanced university degree in Business Management, International Relations /Development, or other related fields. Additional academic training or a degree in an environmental / conservation field would be a strong asset;
- Proven track record in successfully developing, leading, and managing large-scale programmes and/or institutions in the field of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields;
- At least 10 years leadership experience in the international context, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donor budgets.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Proven good leadership skills, excellent capacity to manage human and financial resources, strong skills in project planning, financing, implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrated fund-raising skills and experience with donor/government aid agencies.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to operate at all levels and liaise effectively with local communities, government agencies, governmental policy and decision makers, as well the business community.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Azerbaijani and English, and the relevant local working language.
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determinedand Engaging.
In consultation with the Regional Representative, responsible for the selection, training, deployment, supervision, evaluation and remuneration of all WWF staff working for the WWF Azerbaijan Office.
- Internal: Interacts with the WWF staff on a daily basis, and with members of relevant technical and policy support unit, network initiatives unit at WWF International and other WWF network groups as necessary. Coordinates and interacts with WWF Home Office and Network staff as required.
- External: Interacts with in-country governmental institutions, non-governmental organisations, academic institutions, the media, and donors.
How to apply?
Candidates should send their applications, including a CV and cover letter in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org including the words WWF Azerbaijan Director in the email subject.
Deadline for applications is 4 February 2018.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.