Vacancy for Legal Expert in Brussels, BelgiumJobs 17.10.2019
Job opening for a Legal Expert in relation to a research project “Right to be Forgotten”
Organisation The European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC) is a well-known and large Brussels-based European patients’ umbrella organisation in the area of oncology. With 450 member patient organisations in 46 countries – ECPC represents all cancer patients from the rarest to the most common, and strives to protect the rights of cancer survivors and cancer carers. ECPC was set up in 2003 and believes that cancer patients are the most important partners in the ﬁght against cancer and against all the cancer-related issues aﬀecting our society. Policy makers, researchers, doctors and industry should recognise cancer patients as co-creators of their own health. Every day we are working towards all European cancer patients to have timely and aﬀordable access to the best treatment and care available, throughout their life. Societal issues should be evaluated and priorities in the European research agenda as the needs of cancer survivors have long been neglected from public policy and national cancer plans. Position ECPC has launched a project “Right to be Forgotten – Protecting Cancer Survivors Against Discrimination in Financial Services” with an objective to build a strong evidence base to actively drive advocacy to enhance policy measures with European institutions and Member States’ governments to end discriminatory practices in financial services faced by cancer survivors in Europe. ECPC aims to build scientific evidence on the impact of the “Right to be Forgotten” law in France and Belgium and assess its effectiveness in real-life since the adoption of the law through desk research, surveys and observational studies. ECPC also aims to identify the legislative needs to address discrimination in all EU Member States of cancer survivors in financial services and to advocate and promote similar legislations to all Member States.
We are looking for a talented and ambitious legal expert to help us achieve that goal. The entire project will be conducted under the scientific supervision of Prof. Françoise Meunier, who initiated the research and advocacy in this field over 5 years ago. We are a small, friendly and talented team, fostering collaborative and supportive culture at ECPC. As much as we enjoy working together, we also do respect a good work-life balance. This post is based in Brussels and are open to citizens of the European Union as well as others who have right to live and work in Belgium without a work permit.
Core duties and responsibilities
- Collect data on existing legislations and current practices in the EU Member States on discrimination in access to financial services (i.e. insurance, mortgage)
- Conduct thorough analysis of discrimination and financial toxicities experienced by cancer patients and survivors who are considered cured of cancer
- Evaluate societal long-term outcome of cancer survivors
- Work in close cooperation with the ECPC Secretariat team and under leadership of Prof. F Meunier, Vice-President of Federation of European Academies of Medicine (FEAM)
- Prepare presentations for relevant meetings and events to support advocacy and dissemination activities
- Develop reports and publications in relation to the project
- Collaborate with EU Affairs team in development of policy recommendations
Required skills & qualifications
- Master’s degree in law with a strong interest in insurance law and/or European Consumer Credit Law (financial services)
- Knowledge of EU legislative processes, procedures and rules
- Dedication to cancer survivorship and discrimination issues
- Excellent command of oral and written English
- Good research, analytical skills and ability to critically review and report the findings
- Ability to work with limited supervision and to plan workload and estimate timelines accurately
- Ability to work in international frameworks, including EU institutions.
- Fluency in French would be considered an advantage
- Good work ethic is essential
- Fun, humble and collaborative team player!
ECPC is offering a 2-year fixed term contract with a competitive remuneration package, including benefits.
Please send your CV, letter of motivation together with 2 letters of recommendation by noon on 11 November 2019 to Max.Schravendeel@ecpc.org with subject line Legal Expert - Application We will review the applications on an on-going basis. Unfortunately, due to the very high number of applications we receive, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.