Vacancy for Senior ICT Officer in Valletta, MaltaJobs 04.07.2020
Title of function Senior ICT Officer
Type of contract Temporary Agent
Group-Grade AD 7
- WE ARE
The European Asylum Support Office (hereinafter referred to as "EASO"), established by Regulation 439/20101, strengthens European Union (EU) Member States’ practical cooperation on asylum, enhances the implementation of the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and supports Member States whose asylum and reception systems are under particular pressure.
Specifically, EASO focuses on three main tasks:
- Supporting practical cooperation among Member States on asylum mainly through training, quality activities, country of origin information (COI), statistics and analysis, specialised expert networks, practical cooperation workshops, thematic support on unaccompanied minors, trafficking in human beings and gender;
- Supporting Member States under particular pressure through emergency support, including the deployment of asylum support teams to assist EU Member States in managing asylum applications and in putting in place appropriate reception facilities;
- Contributing to the implementation of the CEAS by collecting and exchanging information on best practices, drawing up an annual report on the asylum situation in the EU covering the whole asylum procedure in EU Member States and adopting technical documents, on the implementation of the new EU asylum acquis.
The organisation chart of EASO can be consulted in the EASO Work Programme on EASO website (https://www.easo.europa.eu/about-us/easo-organisation-structure).
The headquarters of EASO are located at the Valletta Harbour (Malta).
- Regulation (EU) No 439/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 May 2010 (OJ L 132, 25.5.2010, p.11).
- WE PROPOSE
EASO is organising a selection procedure to establish a list of suitable candidates for the position of Senior ICT Officer and to recruit from this list. The Senior ICT Officer could be employed in one of the following areas of expertise/profiles:
DevOps/Application Production Administrator
Cloud Services Infrastructure-as-a-Code Administrator Senior Solutions Architect
Data/Knowledge Management Modeler
Candidates shall indicate in their application (motivation letter) the profile(s), from above, they wish to apply for. If candidates wish to apply to more than one profile, this should be clearly indicated in the motivation letter, by order of preference.
The Senior ICT Officer – DevOps/Application Production Administrator will support and report to the Head of the Infrastructure and Operations Sector to ensure the high availability of EASO’s Application Architecture. She/he will be responsible for technical administration of the Application infrastructure with strong focus on SharePoint and Microsoft.
She/he will mainly be responsible for managing:
Application operational infrastructure – administering, maintaining, upgrading and improving a hybrid environment of SharePoint Farms, consisting of on-premises and Azure-based applications;
Application operational infrastructure - troubleshooting and incident recovery and resolution; Application solution architecture - work with the outsourced or in-house development teams to automate infrastructure and application deployment;
Application solution architecture – proposing changes to the architecture, with the aim of developing new products and functionalities within the remit of the technological options of EASO’s architectural and technological landscape.
The Senior ICT Officer - Cloud Services Infrastructure-as-a-Code (IaaC) Administrator will support and report to the Head of the Infrastructure and Operations Sector to ensure the agile availability of EASO’s Cloud Operations Architecture. She/he will be responsible for technical administration of the cloud infrastructure with strong focus on Microsoft Technologies.
She/he will mainly be responsible for managing:
The availability of provisioned environments; The automation of environment creation;
The continued alignment of the provisioned environments;
The maintenance of a common build mechanism to create and provision the environments; The upkeep of a repository of IaaC scripts, including a coherent version control;
The usage and maintenance of automated operating system configuration tools; The assembly of an environment from a set of virtual images;
The provision new environments in public, private or other PaaS (Platform as a Service); The cataloguing and maintenance all operations information assets under its remit:
- Application code and dependencies o Database and schema creation scripts o Application reference data
o Supporting automated tests and manual test scripts
o Packaging, deployment, migration and provisioning scripts o Deployment procedures, release notes
o Cloud configuration files
The support to the maintenance of horizontal server scaling; The prevention of uncontrolled server configuration variances;
The push of updates to development environment to keep development environments at the latest possible technological update;
The support to the demonstration of completed code/development milestones in production environments to ensure end-to-end acceptance of the developed artefacts.
The Senior ICT Officer – Data/Knowledge Management Modeler will support and report to the Head of the Projects and Applications Sector to ensure the proper governance of the information entrusted to the ICT Unit. She/he will be responsible to maintain the coherence and quality of the information and knowledge that is managed by ICT, with strong focus on the ability to combine different sources of information to produce decision-making and historical views outcomes.
She/he will mainly be responsible for managing:
The organisation, storage and analysis of data as efficiently as possible, while always upholding agreed-upon security standards;
The assurance of master data management and data quality gates to the data flowing into production systems;
The maintenance of a list of data registry, its metadata and use cases;
The development of data management and governance practices, to ensure compliance with expected regulatory limitations and responsibilities;
The design of query and machine-learning patterns to extract the value of the information entrusted to the ICT Unit;
The extraction, transformation and loading of data through the quality and master data gates prior to is usage in production systems;
The creation and implementation of policies and procedures for data management; The determination of methods for quality data collection;
The insurance of adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data; The effective and secure procedures for data processing;
The definition and implementation of procedures for data sharing with upper management, management and external stakeholders;
The monitoring and analysis of the performance of information and data systems; The support and troubleshooting of identified data-related problems.
All profiles will have, as a common set of functions,
- Contribute to the configuration and implementation of the ICT services portfolio, while ensuring its management and continued alignment with EASO’s and ICT’s objectives;
- Define quality patterns and assess organisational and technological impact of the services portfolio, while ensuring the normalisation and reliability of the information of EASO;
- Develop the necessary measures to the ensure the integrity and security of EASO’s services portfolio, while implementing the rules of safeguarding and recovery of such systems;
- Provide documentation to support the decision-process regarding the implementation of applications portfolio and also elaborate the necessary information required to the specification and procurement of information and communication technologies and services provided by external companies;
- The advice on analysis, development, installation and modification of software applications in conformity with ISO ISO/IEC 12207;
- Contribute to the installation, configuration and software component testing and integration into EASO software environment, taking into account the principles of modularity and interoperability;
- Ensure the inventory and catalogue of third party or open source code to maintain EASO’s software artefacts compliant with the licensing framework;
- Maintenance and upkeep of a repository of software scripts, including a coherent version control;
- Support the installation, configuration and interoperability of off-the-shelf software or Software-as-a-Service with EASO’s applications and products;
- Collaborate on the draft, publication and distribution of rules of information technology usage, while ensuring the necessary training and support to users regarding any installed or planned applications;
- Execute technological projects and develop technological infrastructures, namely, data structures servers, application and resource servers, networks and communication endpoints, while ensuring its correct management and maintenance;
- Configure, manage and administer the available physical, virtual, logical, applicational and informational resources, while ensuring the optimisation of the sharing capabilities of such resources;
- Assist or liaise with, in a proactive way, with external contractors or service providers to ensure the optimal status of the services provided or delivered to ICT’s stakeholders;
- Assist in the resolution of any incidents that might occur from the usage and exploration of the available systems, while continuously updating the technical documentation necessary to ensure a proper usage of such resources;
- Ensure the application of security, confidentiality and integrity mechanisms to the information that is stored, processed and transported in the processing systems and communication networks that are in production at EASO, while conducting regular security and vulnerability updates to such systems;
- Provide recommendations to the Head of Sector on changes to ensure proper lifecycle planning;
- Monitor the health and correct usage of the service portfolio under its responsibility;
- Perform any other tasks as required by the Head of Unit.
- WE LOOK FOR
A) Eligibility criteria
Candidates will be considered eligible for selection on the basis of the following formal criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 4 years attested by a diploma2 and, after having obtained the university diploma, at least 9 years of appropriate professional experience, or
have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma and, after having obtained the university diploma, at least 10 years of appropriate professional experience;
- Be nationals of one of the Member States of the European Union, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland;
- Be entitled to their full rights as citizens;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by the laws on military service;
- Possess a thorough knowledge (level C1 in all dimensions as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or CEFRL) of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge (level B2 in all dimensions as per the CEFRL) of another of these languages to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties pertaining to the post3;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved4;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post5.
- Selection criteria
If the eligibility criteria set out in section A) Eligibility criteria are met, the candidates’ applications will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria. The most suitable candidates will be invited to an interview.
- Only diplomas issued by EU Member State authorities and diplomas recognized as equivalent by the relevant EU Member State bodies are accepted. If the main studies took place outside the European Union, the candidate’s qualification must have been recognized by a body delegated officially for the purpose by one of the European Union Member States (such as a national Ministry of Education) and a document attesting so must be submitted if you have been invited for an interview. This will enable the selection board to assess accurately the level of the qualifications.
- Before the appointment, the successful candidate shall be asked to provide proof of a non-existent criminal record.
- Before the appointment, the successful candidate shall be medically examined by one of the institutions' medical officers in order for EASO to ensure that he/she fulfils the requirement stated in Article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Union.
Essential criteria for DevOps/Application Production Administrator
- Proven professional experience in administering, upgrading and performance monitoring of Microsoft SharePoint farms and .NET applications in high availability production environment;
- Proven professional experience in working in DevOps transversal teams, preferably in the role of integrator (of automated code deployments) or continuous release manager;
- Work experience in effectively prioritise and escalate web application problems in production environments, liaising with external support vendors and enforcing established SLA’s to achieve maximum application availability;
- Proven professional experience in the creation of software systems with higher availability, scalability and reliability, with a strong focus on solving issues in infrastructure and operations.
Essential criteria for Cloud Services Infrastructure-as-a-Code Administrator
- Proven professional experience in managing Azure PaaS, IaaS and SaaS or working as Azure cloud architect;
- Proven professional experience in building, deploying and maintaining Infrastructure-as-a-Code, automated OS configuration tools or of managing Microsoft Azure Stack DSC files;
- Experience in performing systems analysis and cooperating in designing integration solutions for different ICT technologies;
- Proven experience in managing and operating hybrid infrastructure (Cloud with On-premises).
Essential criteria for Data/Knowledge Management Modeler
- Proven professional experience as Data Manager/Modeler;
- Professional experience with data management programming languages for Extraction, Transformation and Load;
- Excellent understanding of data management and metadata theory and of its latest paradigms;
- Proven professional experience with databases and information structures procedures in Azure data factory.
Advantageous criteria, common to all profiles
- Previous working experience in a multicultural environment, preferably in an international organisation or an EU agency;
- Technical certification(s) or official training in the area of the selected profile;
- Professional experience in working with Software Development LifeCycle standards and practices;
- Working knowledge of No Code/Low Code paradigms.
Evaluation during interviewing process
Candidates invited to the interviewing process (interview and written test) will be assessed based on the essential and advantageous criteria described in this Section6, and the following additional criteria relevant to the post:
- If applicable. Some of the selection criteria, which cannot be tested during the interview/test phase (for example post-graduate degrees), will be excluded from the assessment during the interview/test phase.
- Excellent analytical skills with a proactive attitude to problem-solving including the ability to take initiative as well as responsibility;
- Strong sense of integrity;
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to multitask, prioritise and plan work accurately as well as with attention to details towards tight deadlines;
- Very good interpersonal and team working skills especially in multicultural environments;
- Service-oriented attitude in combination with very good communication skills;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of the mission and organisation of EASO;
- Excellent written and oral command of English, as well as ability to use electronic office equipment and applications (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, electronic communication, internet etc.) are essential;
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on EASO’s success;
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills;
- Good time-management skills.
Candidates may also be assessed on the above criteria through a hands-on exercise.
- SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
The Regulation which provides the legal basis for EASO was adopted in May 2010 (Official Journal of the European Union L 132 of 29.5.2010).
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed by a Selection Committee according to compliance with all eligibility criteria by the closing date for the submission of applications.
The applications of the eligible candidates will also be assessed against the selection criteria. Following this assessment, the best ranking candidates may be invited for a written competency test and an interview, which will be held in English.
The interview will consist of the following components:
General aptitude and language abilities to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties in accordance with Article 12.2(e) of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Union (CEOS);
Specific competences with reference to the applicants' profiles in line with the selection criteria of the present Vacancy Notice.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring originals and copies of the documents listed below:
A document proving their citizenship (e.g. passport);
Certificates attesting their educational and professional qualifications, in particular those giving access to the profile in question;
Documentation evidencing the professional experience acquired after obtaining the qualification that enabled the candidate to be eligible for the post. The documents must clearly indicate exact dates of employment (start date and end date), type of employment (part-time or full-time) and the nature of the duties carried out.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, this selection procedure may be organised online. In such case, further information will be provided by EASO to candidates invited for an interview regarding the practical modalities for the assessment and the presentation of the above requested documents.
The Selection Committee will propose a shortlist of successful candidates to the Appointing Authority. These will then propose the most suitable candidate and establish a reserve list for the post in question. Candidates shall note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. Recruitment will be based on availability of posts and budget.
The reserve list for this post will be valid until 31 December 2020 and may be extended at the discretion of the Appointing Authority.
Prior to signing the contract, the successful candidate will be asked to undergo a compulsory medical examination by one of the institutions' medical officers which will enable EASO to ensure that he/she fulfils the requirement stated in Article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Union.
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
EASO applies an equal opportunities policy and accepts applications without discriminating on the basis of gender, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
- CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Temporary Agent will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Selection Committee, following the selection procedure.
He/she will be recruited as a Temporary Agent according to Article 2(f) of the CEOS for a period of 5 years which may be renewed. The Temporary Agent post in question will be placed in group AD 7.
Successful candidates who are recruited will undergo an initial probation period of nine months.
The pay for a Temporary Agent, AD 7 (step 1) consists of a basic salary of 6,251.08 € weighted by the correction coefficient (for Malta currently 92.0 %) supplemented with various allowances, where appropriate, such as expatriation and family allowances. The salaries of staff members are subject to a European Union tax deducted at source. Staff members are exempt from national tax on salary and are members of the European Union social security and pension schemes.
For further information on working conditions of Temporary Agents please refer to CEOS:
The place of employment is Valletta Harbour (Malta).
- APPLICATION PROCEDURE
For applications to be valid, candidates shall:
Use the official application form provided on the EASO website. The candidate is requested to fully complete all sections of the application form in English;
Only EASO application forms sent to email@example.com will be accepted, any other CV format or email address or other channel will not be accepted;
The subject of the e-mail should include the reference of this vacancy, followed by the candidate's surname. Only EASO application forms indicating a correct reference number and job title will be accepted.
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and treated as non-eligible. Candidates who use the same application to apply for more than one post will also be disqualified. Application forms must be modified according to the post in question.
Please note that the selection process may take several months.
In order to facilitate the selection process, all correspondence to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English7.
Candidates should not approach, directly or indirectly, the Selection Committee under any circumstances in relation to this recruitment process. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards this instruction.
The closing date for submission of the applications is 5 August 2020 at 13:00h (Malta time). EASO will disregard any application received after this date and time.
Applicants are strongly advised not to wait until the date of the deadline to submit their applications. EASO is not held responsible for any delays in submission of applications due to technical difficulties or any other factors that may arise.
If a candidate is found to have provided false information at any stage in the selection procedure, EASO is within its capacity to disqualify the candidate in question.
- In case there are discrepancies between the different linguistic versions, the English version should be taken as the correct version.
- DATA PROTECTION
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by the candidate is to manage the application(s) of the candidate in view of a possible selection and recruitment at EASO.
EASO does not make public the names of successful candidates on reserve lists. However, it is possible that, for the purposes of recruitment and related planning purposes, members of the EASO management team may have access to reserve lists and, in specific cases, to the application form of a candidate (without supporting documents, which are kept in confidence by the personnel department). Application files of non-recruited candidates are kept for two years from the expiry date of the reserve list after which time they are destroyed.
The personal information requested will be processed in line with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/ECText with EEA relevance.
- APPEAL PROCEDURES
Pursuant to Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union, a candidate may submit a complaint against an act affecting him/her adversely. The complaint must be submitted within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
The Executive Director
European Asylum Support Office
MTC Block A, Winemakers Wharf, Grand Harbour Valletta, MRS 1917
Should the complaint be rejected, pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and Article 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union, a candidate may request judicial review of the act. The appeal must be lodged within 3 months from the date of notification to the following address:
Court of Justice of the European Union
Rue du Fort Niedergrünewald
If you believe that there was maladministration, you may lodge a complaint to the European Ombudsman within two years of the date when you became aware of the facts on which the complaint is based (see http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu), or write to:
1, Avenue du President Robert Schuman - BP 403
F-67001 Strasbourg Cedex
Please note that complaints to the European Ombudsman do not have the effect of suspending the period mentioned in Articles 90 and 91 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union for lodging complaints or submitting an appeal pursuant to Article 270 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.