Call for Applications — Japanese Government (MEXT) Postgraduate ScholarshipsMaster 31.05.2020
The application window for the 2021 MEXT Postgraduate Scholarship Programme for UK nationals is now open. All applications must be submitted to the Embassy of Japan in London by Friday 7 August 2020, 17:00 (GMT). There are some changes in the programme as well as application process from previous years. The selection is subject to change or cancellation depending on the COVID-19 situation in the UK.
Please be sure to thoroughly read through the Application Guidelines before submitting the necessary documents for your application. When sending hard copies, please use paper clips only, no staples.
The deadline for this year’s intake is Friday 7 August 2020, 17:00 (GMT). Application forms must reach the Embassy of Japan by this date for preliminary screening, as PDF by email or hard copies via post. All shortlisted candidates will have to submit hard copies by a later stage.
MEXT Postgraduate Scholarship
Japan Information and Cultural Centre
Embassy of Japan
101-104 Piccadilly, London W1J 7JT
*Currently, interviews (either in person or online - to be confirmed) and exams (potentially at the Embassy in London) are expected to take place in the week of 28 September 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be notified of the date and time of their interviews and exams.
[Notes for email submission]
- Application files should be saved in the format "file number_document name_your name" (eg. “1_Application Form_your name”), in accordance with the Application Guidelines (see 9. Application Documents)
- Your referee should email your recommendation letter, preferably in headed letter form, directly to the Embassy
- Authorised transcripts and the certificates of (prospective) graduation can be directly emailed to the Embassy from your university
- Please specify the programme you are applying for in the title of the email (eg. “2021 Postgraduate Scholarship”), and include a list of the attachments in the body text
- The size of each email should not exceed 10MB otherwise it cannot be received
Please note that the timetable for this year differs to previous years.
|Application period||Late May - 7 August 2020|
|UK interviews||Late September - early October|
|Results of primary screening in the UK*||October|
|Request for provisional acceptance to universities||November|
|Secondary screening in Tokyo||February - March 2021|
|FINAL RESULTS with placement by Tokyo||June 2021|
|Pre-departure orientation||August 2021|
|Departure for Japan||September/October (no April departure in 2021)|
*Please note that, although candidates may be successful up until this point, the final result depends on confirmation of your university placement.