Call for applications for PhD Position in Santander, SpainPhD 29.08.2019
The University of Cantabria (UC) as part of the Collaborative Doctoral Partnership (CDP) with the European Commision’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) is looking for a highly motivated candidate for a PhD position focused on the Impact of new mobility services on traffic and related externalities. The outcomes from the PhD are expected to contribute to the tools currently in use by JRC for the assessment of EU-wide transport-related policy impacts. The doctoral student will spend time at both the university and the JRC site located in Ispra (Italy), where the research will be carried out in one of its laboratories. The student will spend between one to three years at JRC, depending on the PhD program in which he/she is enrolled and the agreement with the University. While at JRC, the student will be enrolled in University and offered a Grantholder contract
by the JRC for the time spend at the JRC (see additionally Guide for Grantholders (employed at the Ispra site).
PhD Program: Civil Engineering (University of Cantabria)
• Job location: First six months in the University of Cantabria (Santander, Spain) (obligatory attendance to PhD preparatory courses) and one to three years at: European Commission - Joint Research Centre site in Ispra (Italy).
• Temporary employment contract covering the doctoral period of the candidate (3 years).
• The student will be jointly supervised by UC and JRC.
• After successfully completing the PhD program conditions, the candidate will be awarded the doctoral degree by UC.
• The doctoral position covers a competitive salary for the research work carried out during the stay at JRC.
We are looking for applicants holding a Msc Degree in fields related to Engineering, Mobility and Data Science. The successful candidate must have strong analytical skills, be proactive, and self-driven with strong problem solving abilities, out-of-the-box thinking.
• Programming experience, preferably in Python, is expected.
• Experience and/or knowledge in the fields of transport systems or data science is beneficial. Pabellón de Gobierno. Av. Los Castros, s/n 39005 Santander
• Professional command of English (both written and spoken) is mandatory.
Candidates must be citizens of one of the EU Member States or from Associated Countries; or citizens of non-EU countries already in possession of a work permit in Spain.
Application for admission
Applicants are required to provide the following documents:
A. University Master´s degree and official academic record issued by the university where you studied.
B. CV describing the relevant research and professional experience and other qualifications held by the applicant.
C. Motivation Letter.
D. Two recommendation Letters.
E. Copy of passport (non-Spanish applicants only) and, if applicable, of the permit to work in Spain for the expected duration of the contract.
F. Any publications.
Applications must be submitted through the following procedure by no later than 24.00 h on September 15th, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, put COLLABORATIVE DOCTORAL PARTNERSHIP in the e mail subject line
For further information, please contact Prof. Borja Alonso, at email@example.com