Vacancy for Programme Officer (International Volunteer) Hangzhou, ChinaVolunteering 19.11.2019
ICSHP Programme Officer - The Global Environment Facility (GEF) project.
About International Center on Small Hydro Power
The International Center on Small Hydro Power (ICSHP) is a public and non-profit institution directly under the auspices of United Nations Industrial and Development Organization (UNIDO), China’s Ministry of Water Resources and Ministry of Commerce. ICSHP serves as the headquarters of the International Network on Small Hydro Power (INSHP), which is an international organization with more than 400 members from 78 countries.
About Global Environment Facility
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) was established on the eve of the 1992 Rio Earth Summit, to help tackle our planet’s most pressing environmental problems. Since then, the GEF has provided $14.5 billion in grants and mobilized $75.4 billion in additional financing for almost 4,000 projects. The GEF has become an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations, and private sector to address global environmental issues.
GEF 6 Project: Upgrading of China SHP Capacity Project
The Project is situated at the heart of the water-energy nexus and aims at promoting innovation, technology transfer, and supportive policies and strategies in SHP. It will focus on green and safe Small Hydro Power (SHP) upgrading/refurbishment in China. The main objective is to support the Ministry of Water Resources to introduce new measures to SHP upgrading in China, to ensure SHP has less of an environmental impact and that safe production and management processes are introduced at the same time as reducing GHG emissions.
The total project implementation duration is about 5 years. In June 2016, the project was approved by GEF, and its implementation officially started in July 2017. The Project Management Unit (PMU) is based in ICSHP, which is in charge of the coordination of the project implementation.
The duty is to assist the Project Management Office (PMO) in the execution of the project (project management and execution functions) and support the UNIDO Project Manager in the implementation (reporting function). The candidate is expected to serve as the liaison between both agencies in satisfying their functions as established in the project document.
The work location is in the headquarters of ICSHP (Hangzhou, China) and the successful candidate will support the following tasks related to the GEF project:
- To support the day-to-day operations of the project management office (PMO);
- To support the PMO as a Secretariat of the NPCC by convening regular meetings to report and review project implementation progress;
- In close consultation with project execution partners, to support the PMO, prepare detailed annual working plans with human resource and budget requirements;
- To monitor project activities execution against working plans’ milestones and outputs, and take prompt corrective actions whenever needed;
- To assist the preparation of subcontracts’ terms of reference; identification of national subcontractors/ bidders and preparation of cost estimates and time schedules;
- To assist the preparation of job descriptions for consultants and assist in their recruitment process through advertisement, collection of applications and short-listing of candidates;
- To ensure timely delivery and quality of subcontractors’ and experts’ outputs and deliverables;
- To coordinate activities of project execution partners, consultants and subcontractors including contract management, supervision of field operations, logistical support, review of technical outputs/ reports, assessment of project achievements and cost control
- In line with UNIDO and GEF requirements and templates, to prepare the relevant reports and documents
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in one of the fields: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Renewable Energy, Hydrology and Water Resources Management or relevant area;
- Work experience in one of the following areas is preferred: Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Renewable Energy, Hydrology and Water Resources Management or relevant area;
- Experience in international organisations, Governmental agency or NGOs (e.g. United Nations agency, or has similar project management and coordinating experience) will be highly recognized.
- Proficient level of English, Chinese will be additionally appreciated;
- Excellent writing skills with editing and proof-reading experience;
- Good communicator, who can maintain effective relations with other international executing agencies/partners;
- Professional Microsoft Office skills.
- Other languages (e.g. Spanish, French);
- Ability to work in a team;
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
- The expected starting date is January 2020.
- The contract will be initially classified as ‘voluntary’ for the first 6 months (with possibility of extension to a full-time contract on good performance).
- Given the voluntary nature of the position, it is important to note that any applicants have the financial means to purchase the flight tickets and obtain the “F” visa. ICSHP does not reimburse these costs.
During the initial contract, the successful candidate will be provided, in return for full time hours (8.30-16.30 Monday to Friday) the following:
- Monthly stiped (4,000~5,000 RMB/month).
- Free accommodation at the Secretariat
- Free lunch Monday to Friday
Should you be interested in the position, please send us (1) your CV, (2) a short cover letter to email@example.com by 15th December 2019. Please note that we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates.